Administration & Finance Directors Meeting
Minutes 10/12/05

Attendees:
1. Wayne B. Beran, Vice President For Admin & Finance 5. Michael Ruland, Director, Facilities Services (Vacation)
2. Greg Fanelli, Director, Business Services 6. Toni Wyer, Comptroller
3. Joe Ferguson, Director, Information Technology 7. Carolyn Mallory, Financial Aid
4. Darlene Pullin, Budget Director 8.  Karen Boldt, Recorder  
 
Agenda Items:
1. CWS and Customer Service Training - Carolyn
2. Reports Completed and Due - Carolyn
3. Budget Module Update - Darlene
4. Senior Accountant Position - Toni
5. Mileage Rate $0.485 Effective 10/1/05
6. Post Payment Audit 10/24/05
7. Safety Issue - Finance Back Door
8. Update on 3rd Party Dell Vendor - Joe
9. 1st Place in Cycling Event for Corporate Cup! - Joe
10. Institutional Compliance Assessment - Greg
11. Discussion of President's Cabinet Agenda - Wayne
12. Round Table - All
 

New Business:

1.   Carolyn announced that due to Hurricane Rita, the Customer Service training has been rescheduled to October 17th.  A speaker from Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Speakers Bureau will conduct two trainings at 10:00 a.m. and 2 p.m. for all college work studies.  All  temporary employees as well as faculty and staff are welcome to attend.  In addition, the college work study appreciation will be incorporated into the training sessions and gift certificates and gift bags will be presented to all college work studies attending.  The training will be held via ITV so that Sugar Land and Cinco Ranch personnel may also attend.  Carolyn has contacted Human Resources to include the training on the master training schedule.  Also, a supervisors and secretaries training on college work study procedures will be offered on October 19th. This will explain department, college work study and Financial Aid responsibilities when hiring a college work study.

2.   Carolyn stated that she completed the FISAP report and is working with Mary Ann on the Financial Aid data base to be submitted to the Coordinating Board.

3.   Darlene gave details regarding the recent Budget Directors meeting by webnet.  The directors discussed the new budget development module to replace PCBud.  They went through screens and made suggestions for changes in order to make the screens look similar to PCBud.  David Ellis and Barbara Duarte will look at the changes and hopefully incorporate the suggestions.  User acceptance testing is expected to begin in December.  Tom Ehardt is trying to find a name for the module.  If anyone can think of a name, you may e-mail your suggestion to him.

4.   Toni announced that Deana Waida is leaving.  Her last day of employment will be January 2nd.

5.   Toni informed everyone that the new mileage rate for UHV will be $.485 per mile beginning October 1 through December 31, 2005.  Wayne mentioned that a few comments were received regarding Enterprise Rental cars providing larger vehicles to travelers which increases the gas used.  Wayne would like Greg and Toni to visit with Enterprise and ensure that they provide the compact vehicles in order to provide gas savings.  Other alternatives such as using another company may need to be reviewed if Enterprise cannot accommodate.

6.   Toni stated that the State Auditor's Office will be conducting a post-payment audit from October 24-October 28th.  The pull list was received and Finance is working on providing copies for the auditors.  Items reviewed will be appropriated funds (Ledger 1) which includes SBDC travel and payroll.

7.   Safety Issue - Finance back door.  Toni stated that there was concern regarding the Finance back door.  On occasion, the back door is found unlocked prior to 7:00 a.m. when Finance employees arrive.  Also, personnel traffic has increased in the last year.  The Finance area is a limited access area and concern was expressed due to the cashier and safe being positioned close to the entry way.  Greg was asked to conduct a risk assessment and provide viable alternatives to increase security. 

8.   Joe provided positive input on the new Dell pass-through vendor.  Orders are being received on-time and he believes that Dell is absorbing the 1% surcharge for the pass-through vendor.  In addition, the maintenance agreements are being handled as requested.

9.    Kudos to UHV's Bi-cycling team who placed first in the cycling event for Corporate Cup.  Joe is on the team.

10.  Greg detailed completing the institutional compliance assessment report which was e-mailed to everyone.  The original report should be signed by each department and a copy retained in order to take corrective action, if required.  Once all responses have been received, Business Services will coordinate all the responses and send a summary to the President's Cabinet.

Wayne mentioned that the report must be completed in order for the President to certify the Annual Financial Report (AFR) by November.  Next year the Annual Financial Report will be due around October 31st which means that the institutional compliance assessment must be completed earlier.  Toni will e-mail Greg the exact date that the AFR is due.

11.  Directors should submit to Wayne any items that they feel would be beneficial to share with President's Cabinet.  Usually, an e-mail from Wayne will be sent to directors as a reminder.

12.   Roundtable:

1.  Joe stated that the Digital TV brown bag luncheon was a success.  He generally received positive comments regarding the training which was provided by Best Buy personnel.  Joe is planning on having another brown bag titled "What's Free for You and Me at UHV?" on October 27th.

2.   Karen provided the living document for the Holiday Luncheon in December.  The document is located on the Finance Q drive.  The Directors discussed the menu for the upcoming Holiday Luncheon and decided on brisket and possible sausage and/or chicken.  Greg graciously volunteered Business Services to host the luncheon this year and Joe volunteered Information Technology for 2006 followed by Finance in 2007. 

3.   At the next directors meeting, Marci will join directors to discuss the possibility of taking over the administration of the Administration and Finance web site.  Karen will work with Marci to schedule the meeting at a convenient time for all.

Back