Administration & Finance Directors Meeting
|1.||Wayne B. Beran, Vice President For Admin & Finance||5.||Michael Ruland, Director, Facilities Services|
|2.||Greg Fanelli, Director, Business Services||6.||Toni Wyer, Comptroller|
|3.||Joe Ferguson, Director, Information Technology||7.||Carolyn Mallory, Financial Aid - on vacation|
|4.||Darlene Pullin, Budget Director||8.||Karen Boldt, Recorder|
|1.||"Smoking area" University Center Discussion - Michael Ruland|
|2.||UHSSL/UHSCR General Discussion - September 1 Operations - Greg Fanelli|
|3.||Personnel Changes and New Positions - Joe Ferguson|
|4.||Development and Training Committee Status - Joe Ferguson|
|5.||Budget Progress Update - Darlene Pullin|
|6.||PeopleSoft Budgeting Module Update - Darlene Pullin|
|7.||Prompt Payment Law Interest Rate Change - Toni Wyer|
|8.||Raises - Wayne Beran|
|9.||Reminder - Newsletter Items due August 1|
|10.||Round Table - All|
1. Michael explained that he took a sample survey of faculty and staff regarding moving the smoking area at the University Center building from the North entrance to the Southwest entrance on the patio. This entrance is a primary entrance for those who park in the Special Events parking lot. Since there were no objections, the designated smoking area will be moved.
2. Greg intitiated discussion regarding the handling of administrative matters with UHSSL and UHSCR beginning September 1. Concerns were expressed regarding signature authority and cost center creation in order to monitor such items as security. It was decided that these issues may be better resolved by meeting with Dr. Don Smith, Kurt Czupryn and Susan Reynolds. Karen will set up a meeting on August 1st, if agreeable with all attendees.
Toni asked when FY05 fund balances for Cinco Ranch will be transferred from UH. Wayne stated that he believed the transfer of Cinco Ranch funds would take place after the Annual Financial Report is completed in November.
3. Joe announced that Jody Gillit has accepted the position of Academic Coordinator in Instructional Services and will be transferring on August 8th. The announcement for Jody's position as Network Specialist is already being advertised. Joe received approval for a half-time position to assist with ITV classes, evening support for computer labs, and audio visual in the multipurpose room/
4. Joe stated that the Training Committee met to look at online class costs through UH contract is $11,000 per year. He provided 28 pages of courses that would be available to UHV employees.
5. Darlene gave an update on the budget schedule. On August 1st, UH will be loading M&O and salary and wages for all campuses. Once decision regarding merit/equity has been received, the data must be entered and then uploaded into PCBud in order to be loaded by August 1st. There will have to be a quick turn around for review of departmental budgets by supervisors. Update: Load is August 8th.
6. UH System is working on testing the new Budget module. Jean Carr will be testing the new budget module at UH Clear Lake campus. Darlene stated that the budget module looks promising and that the progress is coming along well.
7. Toni announced that prompt payment law is increasing the interest charged from 5% to 7.25% in FY2006. Joe expressed concern over the interest being charged to the department on occasions when it is not the department's fault for the late payment. Toni assured Joe that Finance is doing all it can in order to ensure the payments are being made on time.
8. Wayne discussed the process of merit, equity, and reclassifications for FY2006 and stated that the overall increase would be somewhere around 5.5% to 5.75%. Dr. Hudson, Dr. Smith, and Wayne were meeting in order to review the merit/equity adjustments and once it was finalized, letters would be prepared and mailed to employees.
9. Wayne reminded all newsletter items are due August 1st.
10. Round table:
a. Michael discussed problems with maintaining key control when keys are not returned to facilities upon departure or transfer of personnel. Typically, it is more difficult getting departments to return keys of transferring personnel. Sometimes, Facilities is unaware of personnel transfers within the University. Michael believes that earlier notification would assist in Facilities with obtaining keys from transferring personnel. Currently notifications are received on a monthly basis from Human Resources. Greg and Joe also believe notification would assist them in obtaining ProCards and changing access, if necessary. Wayne asked Karen to draft a message to Laura Smith requesting that notification of departing and transferring personnel be given to Facilities, Business Services and Information Technology as soon as possible.
b. Darlene mentioned that departments need to begin looking at cleaning up negative cost centers. Ledger 1 cost centers will be taken care of by the Budget Department.
c. Toni provided Wayne with a report from Linda Syverson regarding centralization of travel. Currently only UH Clear Lake has centralized travel. It is believed that it would take at least one full-time person to manage a centralized travel desk. Toni believes that a trip to UH Clear Lake would provide beneficial information on how the centralized travel desk is managed.