Administration & Finance Directors Meeting
Minutes 5/17/05

Attendees:
1. Wayne B. Beran, Vice President For Admin & Finance 5. Michael Ruland, Director, Facilities Services
2. Greg Fanelli, Director, Business Services 6. Toni Wyer, Comptroller
3. Joe Ferguson, Director, Information Technology 7. Carolyn Mallory, Financial Aid
4. Darlene Pullin, Budget Director 8.  Karen Boldt, Recorder  
9 Laura Smith, Human Resources - Guest    
 
Agenda Items:
1. Funds Management - Is this going forward - Greg Fanelli
2. Institutional Compliance Annual Self-Assessment - Greg Fanelli
3. Polysurface - UW Building - Michael Ruland
4. Status of wireless access project - Joe Ferguson
5. Replacement of voice wiring in the Library - Joe Ferguson
6. Technology upgrade in UW216 - Joe Ferguson
7. Status of Budget - Darlene Pullin
8. Round Table:

New Business:

  1. A welcome was extended to Carolyn Mallory who will be joining the Administration and Finance Directors meetings.

  2. Wayne asked Laura to speak to all directors regarding the reclassification process.  Laura gave a brief synopsis of the process and reminded directors that the market analysis was not completed yet and that an employee's salary could be upgraded due to the market analysis or equity.  Laura did note that past practice was that employees could receive as much as a 10% raise or the minimum of the pay grade, but that depends on what the Budget Committee approves and also on what Legislature decides.  Joe asked about how to request a title change.  Laura provided the process for a title change and stated that he could submit a request at any time.

  3. Greg asked about the progress of Funds Management to track funds received by the University including those transferred from UH.  The person in charge of Funds Management would develop a policy and procedures for tracking funds received and work with departments to ensure funds are being deposited daily and processed according to the procedures established.  Toni stated she is still working on gathering information, but that she is nearly completed.  She and Greg will then meet to decide on duties and develop a job description for the Funds Manager.

  4. Greg provided a draft of the Institutional Compliance Departmental Self-Assessment questionnaire for review and input by directors.  Several suggestions were made that Greg will incorporate and then send out to departments.  The assessments will be made in October of each year covering the previous fiscal year.

  5. Michael reminded directors that the Polysurface on the University West Entrance will be completed on May 31st. 

  6. Joe stated that all the equipment for wireless access has been ordered.  As soon as the equipment arrives, IT will begin installation and hopefully, be in the testing mode in June and going live with wireless in August.  The cost for three buildings was $27,000.

  7. Due to flooding in the past few years, it has become necessary to replace the wiring in the Library.  Information Technology is working on replacing the wiring and should be completed soon.

  8. Information Technology is upgrading technology in UW 216 and will be adding a lectern, and computer projector in the room..

  9. Darlene provided a budget update to the directors.  The Budget module in PeopleSoft will be functional in August with user acceptance testing in September or the later part of Fall.

  10. Roundtable:

    1. Michael stated that he has received many good comments regarding the landscaping in front of the West Building.

    2. Michael noted that there were still water leaks in 133J, 133F and 272C on Friday morning.  He has been in touch with Courtney Harper to work on resolving the leaks.

    3. Toni polled the directors to see if they still need various reports (1063, HUB Report, Payroll Account Report).  It was agreed that each department could run these reports if they needed.  Most departments already print the 1063 on an as-needed basis.  Toni will send an e-mail to all departments stating that these reports will no longer be distributed by Finance.  The HUB report will be run and posted to the P drive in Adobe .pdf file format.   Wayne and Darlene can receive a copy of the 1063 electronically to be printed.

    4. Wayne questioned whether or not we need to move forward with document scanning.  Joe suggested that we wait until main campus irons out all the details and then Toni and Joe can visit UH Main campus to see how it works for them.  Joe wants to ensure that those departments that already have document imaging scanners, do not need additional scanners.  The real question will be on whether or not to have desk top scanners or unit scanners or both. 

    5. Michael mentioned that they will be cleaning floors in the UC Building during the break and once the Spring School Board Workshop is through.  The floors will be stripped and waxed in the University West Building.

    6. Joe stated that IT personnel will be traveling to Sugar Land to visit with staff regarding technology services and support.  A separate trip for Cinco Ranch is also being planned.

    7. Darlene stated that the Budget Department is working on creating and verifying merit work sheets for distribution to departments.

    8. Carolyn stated Financial Aid is working on audit reports and reminded everyone of the UHV Open House.