Office of the Vice President for
Administration and Finance
SECTION: GENERAL INDEX: A-28
SUBJECT: CONDOLENCES AND CONGRATULATIONS
- A standard arrangement of flowers will be sent on behalf of the University to employees, close associates, or significant supporters of the University who have lost a spouse, child, parent, or sibling. Flowers may also be sent in other cases that seem exceptional such as in the case of loss of a close friend occupying the same home. A memorial book for the library or similar form of expression may be needed instead of flowers, as appropriate.
- A standard arrangement of flowers will be sent on behalf of the University for the loss of a UHV employee
- In other instances in which condolences from the President on behalf of the University are appropriate, a standard sympathy card will be used.
- University funds may not be used for memorial contributions to given charities in lieu of flowers. If flowers are not appropriate, only a card will be sent.
- Only in very exceptional cases will flowers be used for purposes such as hospitalization.
A standard congratulatory card will be used for marriages, births, honors, promotions, or other such happy occasions, as appropriate.
Although individual employees or groups of employees are free to extend any expressions they consider appropriate on given occasions, it would not seem justifiable to expend University funds for expressions of condolences or congratulations beyond what is indicated above. There may be some exceptions, as recommended by division heads and approved by the President.
Each division or department is responsible for ordering a standard arrangement of flowers on behalf of the President and University for employees in their area who have lost a family member (refer to index C-1 bereavement leave).
- The flower arrangement sent to employees, close associates, or significant supporters of the University within the City of Victoria should not exceed $50 (this includes delivery charges). The flower arrangement sent to employees, close associates, or significant supporters outside the City of Victoria should not exceed $75 (including delivery charges). Payment will be made using speed type 10433 and must be approved by the President. The card should be from the President, President's spouse, department, and UHV family.
- The flower arrangement for the death of a UHV employee should not exceed $75. Payment will be made using speed type 10433 and must be approved by the President.
- The President’s Office should be informed via e-mail that an arrangement was sent.
Philip Castille, Ph.D. Date
Next review date: May 2016
Origination: Office of the President
Thanksgiving Day Holiday - 11/27/2014
Campus Rosary Group - 11/27/2014
Holiday - 11/28/2014
Holiday - 11/29/2014
The Giving Tree & Tree Trimming Event - 12/1/2014
Pop-N Mondays - 12/1/2014
Free education symposium to focus on health literacy - 11/20/2014