Pop-up Blockers are found in most search toolbars such as Yahoo! Companion and Google Toolbar in addition to most web browsers such as Internet Explorer.
Blackboard makes use of pop-ups. Instructions for disabling or configuring some of the most common pop-up blockers are described below. You may have more than one popup blocker installed and will need to configure each one.
Internet Explorer (Windows XP Service Pack 2):
- After you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), the pop-up blocker is automatically turned on in Internet Explorer.
- Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools | Pop-up Blocker | Pop-up Blocker Settings …
- In the field, "Address of Web site to allow", type learn.uh.edu
- Click the Add button.
- Repeat the previous step and type in learn.uh.edu to add it to your list of websites to allow.
- Click Close to exit the window.
- Open Firefox. Go to Tools | Options.
- Click the Web Features icon on the left navigation panel. If you are using Firefox version 1.5, then select the Content tab instead.
- Leave the box checked for "Block Popup Windows". Click the "Allowed Sites" button.
- In the field, "Address of the web site", type learn.uh.edu
- Click the Allow button.
- Click Close to confirm and exit the window.
- Open Internet Explorer and make sure that the Google Toolbar is displayed.
- Navigate to the Blackbaord login page. You may get a Blackboard browser check warning indicating that you have a pop-up blocker installed. Close that window.
- Click on the pop-up blocker button on the Google toolbar.
- The button will change to reflect that pop-ups are now allowed for the site you are currently viewing. It will remember to unblock pop-ups each time you go to Blackboard.
- Open Internet Explorer and make sure that the Yahoo! Companion Toolbar is displayed.
- Navigate to the Blackboard login page. You may get a Blackboard browser check warning indicating that you have a pop-up blocker installed. Close that window.
- Click on the Pop-up Blocker menu on the Yahoo! toolbar.
- Select "Always Allow Pop-Ups From".
- Select the Blackboard site, learn.uh.edu, from the "Sources of Recently Blocked Pop-Ups" list.
- Click "Allow".
- This allows pop-ups from Blackboard to appear without further action.
Pop-Up Stopper (free version):
- If you have the free version of Pop-Up Stopper, it will appear as an icon in the system tray at the bottom right corner of your screen.
- You cannot edit allowable sites with this version, so you have to turn it off each time you use Blackboard. To disable the blocker for that session, right-click on the Pop-Up Stopper icon in the system tray.
- Uncheck the box next to "Enable pop-up blocking".
- When you are finished with Blackboard, go back and check the "Enable pop-up blocking" box.