In order to achieve the mission of the School of Education, Health Professions and Human Development, its faculty is committed to the following goals:
- Encouragement of ethical practice,
- Meaningful interactions among faculty, program participants and professionals in the field of study,
- Promotion of learning as a life-long process,
- Achievement of academic excellence by students and faculty,
- Appreciation of diversity and a multicultural society,
- Commitment to development of prepared practitioners through experiential pedagogy and extensive field experiences,
- Creation of an educational environment that promotes and supports critical thinking,
- Practice of innovative methodologies for facilitating learning, including maximizing the utility of technology in learning, and
- Positive, authentic assessment of learner progress, coupled with meaningful reporting of learner growth.
Undergraduate preparation of prospective teacher candidates is provided through the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. Undergraduate preparation for health studies and kinesiology students is provided through a Bachelor of Science. A program of professional study for future secondary educators is available through courses supplemented from other Schools within the University of Houston-Victoria. Post-licensure, Associate Degree nursing students are provided a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Graduate preparation of higher education professionals, licensed professional counselors, school counselors, teachers and administrators; professional certification programs; and preparation for specialized service in education are provided through the Master of Education degree programs.
Additional certification sequences are also available for persons who have earned degrees in academic fields offered in the public school curriculum.
Although there is a growing emphasis on laboratory and clinical approaches, and on directed field experiences, an appropriate balance between professional and academic emphasis is sought in all programs. Participants admitted to our programs may look forward to opportunities to work and learn with a diverse populace of learners in a wide variety of both clinical and educational settings.