The mission of the School of Education and Human Development is to contribute to the total educational experience of students enrolled at the University of Houston-Victoria. In teaching, research, and service the school's faculty is committed to preparing qualified professionals for varied educational roles, teaching, counseling, and administration. The School of Education and Human Development promotes an educational system responsive to the challenges of a modern society.
In order to achieve the mission of the School of Education and Human Development, the faculty is committed to the following goals:
- Encouragement of ethical practice
- Meaningful faculty-student interactions
- Promotion of learning as a life-long process
- Achievement of student and faculty academic excellence
- Appreciation of student diversity and a multicultural society
- Support of a practical foundation through extensive field experiences
- Creation of an educational environment that supports critical thinking
- Innovative instruction and an understanding of the use of technology in learning
Initial undergraduate preparation of prospective elementary teachers is provided through the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. Graduate preparation of teachers, professional certification programs and preparation for specialized service in education are provided through the Master of Education degree programs. Initial preparation for prospective secondary teachers is available through courses supplementing Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees from the School of Arts and Sciences and the Bachelor of Business Administration in the School of Business Administration. Appropriate certification sequences are also available for persons who have earned degrees in academic fields offered in the public school curriculum. Although there is a growing emphasis on laboratory and clinical approaches and on directed field experiences, an appropriate balance between professional and academic emphasis is sought in all programs.
One of the prime objectives of the school is to acquaint its students with various cultural subgroups that characterize the school's area of influence. The prospective student should consequently anticipate the opportunity to work with learners in a wide variety of educational settings.