UHV Logo


Counselor Education 


10K stipend program


(*degree requirements listed in handbook)


Welcome to the home page for the Master of Education Degree Program in Counselor Education!

Matriculation through the M.Ed. provides graduate level training for students interested in preparing for a career in professional counseling in a variety of educational and community settings. The Counselor Education faculty are committed to facilitating students’ achievement of their career goals, and our students find work in K-12 schools, college counseling and career counseling centers, non-profit community mental health agencies, hospitals, and private practice settings. Our vision is to prepare competent practitioners who advocate for their profession and act as agents of personal, family, group, community, and social development.

The M.Ed. programs in Professional School Counseling and Community Counseling at the University of Houston-Victoria are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). CACREP was formed in 1981 in cooperation with the American Counseling Association (ACA) to promote the advancement of quality in counselor education programs and grants accredited status to graduate-level programs in the professional counseling field. Matriculation through a CACREP accredited program ensures students will receive quality instruction, clinical experience, and the ability to form a distinct professional identity as a counselor.   In addition, students graduating from a CACREP-accredited program qualify to take the National Certified Counselor Exam, used by most states for LPC licensure.  For students pursuing a doctoral degree, graduation from a CACREP accredited program will meet application preferences in doctoral programs in counselor education.

Students who complete the Community Counseling track meet the educational requirements to become Licensed Professional Counselors (LPCs) in Texas.

Students who complete the School Counseling track meet the educational requirements for the Professional School Counselor Certificate (K-12) in Texas. School Counseling track students also meet requirements to apply for the Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC ) credential in Texas.

Students who complete the Student Affairs and College Counseling track gain training and experience working in academic advising offices and college-based career education and counseling centers.  Students completing the this track meet the educational requirements to become Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) in Texas.

We encourage you to explore our web site. You may contact any of our faculty to inquire about the M.Ed. in Counselor Education.

    Any questions about Counselor Education can be directed to: 

(*degree requirements listed in handbook)

UHV Counselor Education Program Outcomes 2012-2013

During the 2012-2013 academic year there were 11 community counseling and 28 school counseling graduates of the UHV Counselor Education Program. Our graduates consistently achieve high pass rates on licensing and certification examinations. The pass rate for graduates in 2012 taking the NCE examination was 97% and the TExES 152 was 99%. Of the students admitted, 45.5% graduate from the community counseling program and 36% graduate from the school counseling program in the expected time period. From those of those program, 92% graduates reported they are employed in the counseling field. 



Image Link to Blackboard

my UHV Login 

Student Login Tips 

Apply Now 

UHV Calendar Link