Eligibility to take the PPR All Certification Areas
After completion of CUIN 6312, CUIN6314, CUIN 6320 and FEDU 6323 with passing grades students are required to complete the following steps in the order they are numbered: Note you can take the PPR in your last semester of course work however you will not be able to register until you are in the last month of that semester. So for example if you are taking your last classes from the list above in the Fall you will be able to register for the PPR in November.
- Complete the PPR T-Cert Review found at this site: http://pact.tarleton.edu/TCERT/ . You will need a TEA ID number to register for the T-Cert site. If you do not already have one you can go to: https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/login.asp
- Submit your certificate of completion of the PPR T-Cert Review Dr. Andria Young, TExES Academy coordinator. email@example.com
- Complete the Practice PPR. Note, if you complete the practice PPR prior to completing the T-Cert PPR review you will be asked to take the practice test again.
- Obtain confirmation from TExES Academy Coordinator that you have met all criteria and are approved to register for the official PPR.
- Complete TExES approval form and submit to TERO. http://www.uhv.edu/edu/forms/TEXES_TEST_APPROVAL_FORM.pdf
- A TERO representative will contact you with information on registering with ETS once your approval form has been processed. Register for and take the official PPR test.
If a student fails the official PPR they are required to complete an individualized tutorial as recommended by the TExES Academy Coordinator
TExES Registration Information
Official TExES Exam Manuals (from the ETS Testing Center)
Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR)
Look for the PPR which is appropriate for the level you are interested in, however studying the other levels will provide additional practice.
Also on this site, look at the Special Education Supplement, 163 Special Education Supplemental. Many of the questions focus on situations with a student being mainstreamed into the regular classroom. These are worth reading.
It is good to look at the released TAKS tests. You need to be able to teach children the concepts which will be tested and you might be asked questions regarding situations similar to those on the TAKS questions. I would suggest that you look at the 3rd and 4th grade versions.
Texas State Board for Educator Certification
Texas Code of Ethics
It is also advisable to check out the Educator's Code of Ethics. Most of it is common sense for professional educators; however it will stimulate thought in this area.
Study Guides and Texts to help you succeed on the TExES.
A website that has several practice exams for sale. Click Products near the top toolbar. It now has a Practice Generalist K-4, PPRs and other practice exams.
Study guides and texts for the TExES exam.
Scheduled review sessions (lecture and discussion format) on specific subjects to anyone preparing for the TExES exams.
Kortz, Joe, Vickie Hester, Judy Mattair, and Paola Docemascolo. Pass the TExES Generalist 4-8. Wylie, TX: Ed Publishing and Consulting, 2006.
The following book is a very good and has helped many of our EC – 4 students. A number of Grade 6 - 8 students have mentioned that it was very useful for them also.
Nath, Janice L, and John M. Ramsey. Preparing for the Texas PreK-4 Teacher Certification: A Guide to the Comprehensive TExES Content Areas Exam. Boston, MA: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon, 2005.
Nath, Janice L, and Myrna D Cohen. Becoming a Middle School or High School Teacher in Texas. 1st ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 2005.
Nath, Janice L, and Myrna D Cohen. Becoming an EC-6 Teacher in Texas: A Course of Study for the Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) TExES. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 2003.
Postman, Robert D. How to Prepare for MSAT: Multiple Subjects Assessment for Teachers. New York: Barron's Educational Series, Inc., 1998.
NEW: Ed Speak, A Glossary of Education Terms. Phrases. Buzzwords, and Jargon. 2007. Diane Ravitch. ISBN: 9781416605751
Flash cards are available at the Victoria College Bookstore.