- Hold a valid Texas teacher certificate.
- Bachelor's degree.
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience in an accredited school.
- Complete the 15 semester hours of specified graduate-level courses beyond the bachelor's degree in an approved graduate teacher education program. Students must have a signed plan on file.
The program for the certificate includes:
- CUIN 6360 Foundations of Literacy Learning
- CUIN 6362 Diagnostic Testing of Reading
- CUIN 6404 Practicum in Literacy
- LANG 6310 Linguistics in Reading
- ELAS 6315 Principles of Instructional Supervision
- Pass the TExMaT #85 for Master Reading Teacher, unless you hold a Reading Specialist Certificate.