Skip to Main Content
UHV Logo
University of Houston - Victoria

Contact Us

Cheryl Worley
Manager of Disability Services and At-Risk Programs

132B University West
(361) 570-4287

Disability Services

Differences Between High School and College Accommodations for Students with Disabilities

Applicable Laws
High School College
I.D.E.A. (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) A.D.A. (Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990)
Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973
I.D.E.A. is about SUCCESS A.D.A. is about ACCESS
Required Documentation
High School College
I.E.P. (Individualized Education Plan and/or 504 Plan High School I.E.P. and 504 are not sufficient. Documentation guidelines specify information needed for each category of disability.
School provides evaluation at no cost to student Student must get evaluation at own expense
Documentation focuses on determining whether student is eligible for services based on specific disability categories in I.D.E.A. Documentation must provide information on specific functional limitations, and demonstrate the need for specific accommodations
High School College
Student is identified by the school and is supported by parents and teachers Student must self-identify to the Office of Disability Services
Primary responsibility for arranging accommodations belongs to the school Primary responsibility for self-advocacy and arranging accommodations belongs to the student
Teachers approach you if they believe you need assistance Professors are usually open and helpful, but most expect you to initiate contact if you need assistance
Parental Role
High School College
Parent has access to student records and can participate in the accommodation process Parent does not have access to student records without student’s written consent
Parent advocates for student Student advocates for self