UHV Quick Links

2012-2013 Catalog


International Student Admission

General Admission/Application Information | Program Plans | Undergraduate Student Admission | Postbaccalaureate Student Admission | Temporary Graduate Student Admission | Graduate Student Admission | International Student Admission

The University of Houston-Victoria is authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to accept international students who enter the United States with an F-1 student visa.  The following information pertains to admission for the F-1 visa holder.  The Office of Admissions is required by law to enter student information and update the student information each semester/term in the USCIS Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regarding student enrollment and related personal information. The Office of Admissions will issue an I-20 to students who are fully approved to a program of study at UHV after the following steps for admission to the university are completed by the student.

Admissions/Other Requirements:
All other admission requirements that apply to the level of admission the student is seeking will be required for admission to the undergraduate or graduate program of choice.  Undergraduate students seeking admission to UHV will not be issued an I-20 for transfer purposes unless all lower-level course requirements within their degree program have been met.

Graduate applicants will submit to the Office of Admissions all essays, letters of recommendation, personal statements and other information required for approval to the graduate program they are seeking.  The admissions analyst will assemble the necessary documents and submit them to the appropriate academic school for the Dean’s decision regarding approval to the program.

Applicants to the M.A Psychology program must submit all test scores and necessary documentation for Fall admission to the Admissions office by February 15 for priority consideration or June 15 for consideration of remaining seats

International students must submit applications for admission and all supporting admission documentation, regardless of your degree objective, by the following dates to ensure time for processing: 
                              Fall – June 1  Spring – October 1 Summer – March 1

Full-Course Load Requirement
International students who hold an F-1 visa must be in compliance with the regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.  Enrollment in online courses during the fall and spring terms is limited to one online class within the full-course load.  It is the F-1 student’s responsibility to monitor their schedule to comply with this requirement in order to maintain legal visa status while in the United States.  Failure to comply with this requirement may lead to termination of the student’s F-1 visa status and possible deportation.  No tuition or fees will be refunded to the student in this instance, and degree completion may be delayed or indefinitely interrupted.

What to Submit:
1.     A completed international application for admission.  See the international student information on the 
        Office of Admissions web page.   www.uhv.edu/International/ 

2.    An official transcript, mark sheets and degree/diploma certificate from EACH college or 
       university attended
, sent directly from each institution to University of Houston-Victoria, Office of 
       Admissions, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria TX 77901-5731.
       • All transcripts, marks, and certificates submitted to UHV become the property of the university and are not returned to students.  If only one set of documents is issued by the student’s country of origin, students should send attested/certified copies of the documents, with translations if needed, in the appropriate manner indicated below.  DO NOT send the original document issued to the student by the university or government agency.  UHV is not responsible for damage to original documents submitted by applicants.
       • Include transcript and certificates that show higher secondary school completion.
       • If a student has previously obtained a comprehensive evaluation from an outside agency, UHV may accept
         an official copy of the evaluation and a copy of the original documents for admission purposes.  The Office
         of Admissions staff will review a copy of the evaluation and determine whether the student should request 
         the agency to send the evaluation copy, as well as a copy of the documents evaluated, directly to the Office
         of Admissions.  
       • When possible, applicants should use the International Academic Records Request Form located on  the 
          Admissions web page to request records: www.uhv.edu/oar/forms.aspx 
       • If original documents are not issued in English, two sets of official transcripts/certificates  are required.  
         One set  must be in the original language and one English translation  describing all academic studies 
         attempted and completed must be on file before the final evaluation can proceed.  Translations should be 
         word- for-word, in the same format as the original document text. Transcripts should plainly indicate the 
         dates of attendance, the subjects, and the marks (grades) earned.  They should also reflect any degrees or 
         diplomas awarded. 
       • Official transcripts should be issued directly to UHV by the registrar, principal or responsible head of each 
          institution attended.  When this is not possible, documents certified by an embassy or consular official as 
          true copies may be accepted.  
       • Uncertified or unattested copies are not acceptable for unconditional admission to the university.  The 
          university will make a reasonable determination of those courses completed outside the United States.  
          However, international students may be required to have a catalog match evaluation performed by an 
          outside agency in order to determine course equivalencies.  This may take longer to complete, and it is 
          imperative that students submit international documents as early as possible to ensure adequate time for 
          application approval. 

3.   Test Score Requirements
      a. Undergraduate applicants who live outside the United States must submit SAT scores according to 
          provisions of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), sent directly from National Evaluation Systems, Inc. to 
          UHV; or, the scores/TSI completion must appear on an official transcript being sent from a U.S. college 
          or university formerly attended.  A minimum SAT composite score of 1070, math minimum score of 500, 
          and Critical Reading/Verbal minimum score of 500 are required prior to registration in courses toward a 
          degree program.
      b. Graduate Applicants must submit scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), Graduate Management 
          Admissions Test (GMAT), or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores, letters, and essays that are required 
          by their desired degree program.  See appropriate school section of this catalog for more information.  
          The GRE aptitude (verbal and quantitative sections only) is required for most majors.  GMAT is required 
          for all MBA applicants and the minimum score is 450.   MAT scores may be substituted for the GRE by 
          counseling education applicants.  The scores will be used with your grade point average to calculate a 
          graduate admission index.  Nursing applicants to the MSN program must submit Health Sciences 
          Reasoning Test scores.  See additional information on the test score requirements in the following 
          paragraphs under Graduate Admission

4.   TOEFL exam score report must be requested by the student to be sent to UHV directly from the testing
      center, or the applicant must meet one of the exemption requirements.  See the information on English 
      Proficiency in the “General Admission/Application Information” section for additional information regarding 
      minimum scores and exemptions.

5.   The UHV F1 Student Visa Form with applicant or sponsor’s supporting bank documents verifying funds
      available in English with dollar amounts in U.S. dollars must be submitted before an I-20 may be issued to 
      the applicant.  The minimum amounts needed for study at UHV during the Academic Year is posted on the 
      International Student information page of the university website 
      http://www.uhv.edu/international/Student_Expenses.aspx. These amounts are subject to change due to 
      Texas legislative action and UHV policy changes. 

6.   Photocopies of all previous and current U.S. immigration documents should be submitted by students
      who are already in the United States.  For students outside the U.S., submit photocopy of passport pages 
      with legal name of student applicant and dependents, if they will travel to the U.S. to live with applicant.  For 
      students who will transfer to UHV from an institution in the United States, the admissions officer will facilitate 
      the transfer through SEVIS after the student is approved for admission to UHV.