Requirements for Graduate Admission
Degree Requirements for the Master of Science in Nursing (M.S.N.)
Applicants to the graduate nursing programs must meet all requirements for graduate admission as described in the ADMISSIONS section of this catalog. International students must have a minimum score of 89 on the TOEFL. In order to be considered for admission a student must send the following credentials to the Office of Admissions:
1. A completed application for graduate admission which includes the graduate action form found on the
ADMISSIONS web page (www.uhv.edu/oar).
2. Completion of Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree from an institution accredited by one of the
six recognized regional accrediting associations as described in the ADMISSIONS section of this
3. Official transcripts reflecting AT LEAST the last 60 hours of coursework completed AND the
baccalaureate (or higher) degree conferred, sent directly from each institution to UH-Victoria.
4. Applicants to the MSN program must provide evidence of an unencumbered, current RN Texas license
and current CPR certification.
5. Applicants to the MSN program must provide a short essay (one page in length) which includes career
goals and expectations for the desired program of study.
6. Two recommendations. The recommendation form is located on the School of Nursing website at
Your approval to the MSN program depends on the following:
• A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on at least the last 60 semester credit hours you have
attempted at the college and/or university level.
• Content of essay which includes career goals and expectations for the desired program of study.
• Content of recommendations.
• Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) with a minimum score of 15. The HSRT may not be taken
more than twice.
Transfer of Graduate Course Credit
Credit may be transferred only for graduate credit courses completed with a grade of A or B. The transfer student must complete 75% of the coursework required for a degree program at UHV unless transferring from a UH System institution. In the latter case, the student must complete 50% at UHV.
It is the student's responsibility to provide course description and course syllabi for consideration. Approval of transfer credit toward the MSN degree is by the appropriate academic advisor of the student's plan and school dean of the student's plan.