School of Arts and Sciences
Degree Requirements for the
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The following requirements apply to all candidates for the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science. The Bachelor of Arts option is available to those who choose plans in Communication, Humanities, Mathematical Sciences, or Psychology. The Bachelor of Science option is available to those who choose plans in Biology, Communication, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Mathematical Sciences or Psychology.
1. Satisfy all university requirements for a bachelor’s degree as found in the “UNIVERSITY DEGREE
REQUIREMENTS” section of this catalog.
2. Satisfy Core Curriculum Requirements for students entering college in Fall 1999 or after.
3. Satisfy the requirements for either the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science, as follows:
a. Bachelor of Arts
(1) Lower or Upper Division: 3 semester hours of speech and satisfy computer literacy/proficiency
requirement; Foreign Language/ Linguistics: 6 semester hours at the sophomore level in one foreign
language. Students submitting an acceptable score on a standard foreign language proficiency test
approved by the School of Arts and Sciences may substitute 6 semester hours of electives.
b. Bachelor of Science
(1) Lower Division: 3 semester hours of speech and satisfy computer literacy/proficiency requirement;
Natural Sciences: 11 semester hours in natural sciences, at least 2 semester hours of which must be in
laboratory courses. Natural sciences include biology, biophysical sciences, chemistry, geology, and
4. Satisfy course requirements for the plan: At least 24 semester hours in one plan of which at least 18 semester hours must be advanced.