UHV Quick Links

2012-2013 Catalog

(Students already holding a bachelors degree)

Postbaccalaureate candidates must request a certification plan.  

The application forms for a plan and the application for admittance into teacher education and a check-list can be located on the UHV School of Education and Human Development website at www.uhv.edu/edu .


Postbaccalaureate Certification Plans

Postbaccalaureate candidates requiring this service must secure certification plans from the Teacher Education Records Office in the School of Education and Human Development. A service charge of $25.00 is required for a candidate requested certification plan.  The candidate is required to complete a student teaching experience. However, an internship is made available to candidates who secure a teaching position, in the area and at the level that they are seeking certification, in an accredited school.

Deficiency Plans and Internships
The School of Education and Human Development also offers teacher certification programs for those teachers-in-service who are teaching in accredited schools. The school district where they are employed must request an official deficiency plan in writing. The candidate must serve an internship in lieu of student teaching. (To serve an internship, you must contact the Teacher Education Records Office, complete all necessary paper work, and enroll in the appropriate courses.)

The basic requirements for securing a certificate in this manner are similar to those listed for undergraduate students. The candidates are permitted to substitute equivalent semester hours of a one-year Internship in a school accredited by the Texas Education Agency for the required six semester hours of student teaching.

The teaching areas available for postbaccalaureate candidates are identical to the specialization fields accessible to undergraduate candidates.  A minimum of twelve semester hours must be completed at UH-Victoria as part of any certification or endorsement program.  Course work that is ten years old or older must be approved by the Certification Officer. The candidate must be admitted to the Teacher Education Program. See the University of Houston-Victoria website at www.uhv.edu/edu for the application to the teacher education program along with a checklist and application for a certification program.

Teacher certification candidates must pass all UHV courses required for teacher certification with a “C” or better. All teacher certification transactions and /or inquiries for UH-Victoria are made through the Teacher Education Records Office in the School of Education and Human Development.

All candidates seeking certification are required to successfully complete all TExES Academy Program requirements.