School of Arts and Sciences
1. Satisfy Core Curriculum Requirements for students entering college in Fall 1999 or after. See “General
Requirements for a Bachelor’s Degree.”
2. Satisfy the requirements for the Bachelor of Arts.
6 semester hours of sophomore foreign language
3. General Requirements:
• Upper Division – ENGL 3430 Professional Writing; 9 semester hours in HUMA period courses (HUMA
4312, 4313, 4314, 4315 and 4317); 3 semester hours in any HUMA, HIST, or ENGL course; 3
semester hours in HUMA 4324 Gender Studies or HUMA 4323 Asian Culture.
4. Concentration/Specialization -18 semester hours chosen from one of the following concentrations:
a. Creative Writing: 18 semester hours selected with advisor approval. ENGL 2313 Intro to Creative
Writing, 6 semester hours in ENGL Writing courses (3315, 3318, 3319, 3328); 6 semester hours in
ENGL Advanced Writing courses (4315, 4318, 4319, 4328), ENGL 3312 Grammar & Rhetoric.
b. English: 18 Semester hours of junior and senior level courses in English (Excluding ENGL 3430)
c. History: 18 semester hours selected with advisor approval.
5. Students seeking secondary certification should see the section on “Secondary Teacher Certification
6. Free electives - Enough electives to fulfill the 120 semester hour requirements and the 54 semester hours of
upper division courses.
These requirements are summarized in the following table:
|I. CORE CURRICULUM REQUIREMENTS
(42 total core hours required).
|College Math or higher||3||3|
II. PLAN PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
|ENGL 3430 Professional Writing||4||4|
|Foreign Language -- (6 s.h. in sophomore level courses )||6||6|
|HUMA 4323 Asian Culture, or 4324 Gender Studies||3||3|
| HUMA period courses (9 s.h. from the following courses:
HUMA 4312, HUMA 4313, HUMA 4314,
HUMA 4315, HUMA 4317)
|Any HUMA, HIST, or ENGL Course||3||3|
|B. Concentration / Specialization (One of the following)|
|III. FREE ELECTIVES (to fulfill hours’ requirements)|
* Total must be minimum of 120 s.h. with minimum of 54 s.h. at upper division level.