UHV Quick Links

2011-2012 Catalog

Financial Aid

Awarding Process

Awarding Process | Vocational Rehabilitation | Veterans' Benefits | Satisfactory Academic Progress

Applying for Financial Aid
UH-Victoria administers a wide range of scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study employment for students who qualify. It is to the student’s advantage to complete a 2011-2012 UHV Scholarship Application and a 2011-2012 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form as early as possible since limited funds require that priority be given to the earliest applicants. Students are required to reapply and submit new applications annually because regulations governing financial aid change each year. The forms are available in the UHV Office of Financial Aid, and on the UHV Financial Aid web page, http://www.uhv.edu/ofa/forms.aspx and http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. Additional forms and documents may be requested based on the information that is gathered from the financial aid applications and the Office of Admissions.

Viewing Your Financial Aid Status
UHV student e-mail is the official mode of communication that is used to notify students of changes or updates to his/her UHV records. Students should check their UHV student e-mail account for emails periodically. Students can view his/her UHV financial aid records on-line in MyUHV at http://www.uhv.edu/LoginMyUHV.aspx . Students should review their financial aid data, accept, modify, or decline financial aid awards, and/or complete the tasks listed on the To Do List.

Awarding Process
Students must meet the following minimum requirements for a majority of the financial aid programs: demonstrate financial need (except for certain loans); have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate, pass a test approved by the U.S. Department of Education, meet other standards your state establishes that the Department approves, or complete a high school education in a home school setting that is treated as such under state law; be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident; have a valid Social Security number; be unconditionally admitted to UHV; be degree seeking; making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certification; not be defaulted on any educational loan or owe a refund on a federal or state grant; be registered with the Selective Service, if male; be enrolled at least half-time (except Pell Grants); certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes; and not be convicted of possessing and/or selling illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid. Transient and visiting students who are non-degree seeking at UHV are not eligible for financial aid.

The priority deadlines are as follows:

March 15 — Fall
October 15 — Spring
March 15 — Summer

The most common type of financial aid is a “package’’ which is awarded in the following order: grants, scholarships, employment, and/or loans. Prior to awarding federal, state, and institutional financial aid, a student’s eligibility is reviewed. Financial Aid awarded prior to the semester beginning will be based on the students anticipated enrollment and aid awarded after the semester begins will be based on the student’s current enrollment status. Financial aid will not be awarded until all requested documents have been received and reviewed. Students who have incomplete files should be prepared to pay for their tuition, fees, books and supplies, and other educational expenses by the date posted on the bill.

An Award Notice email will be sent to the student's UHV e-mail address informing them that they need to review their financial aid offered on the MyUHV web link and then Accept, Modify or Decline the awards. All students accepting a Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan will need to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note at https://studentloans.gov/ so the loan can be originated. Future loans accepted by students will be originated using the promissory note on file with the Department of Education.

Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling is required for all first-time Federal Direct loan borrowers at UHV. Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling is required of first-time Federal Direct Grad PLUS borrowers. Federal Direct Loan Exit Counseling and/or Federal Direct Grad PLUS Exit Counseling is required for all loan recipients each time they complete a degree, drop below half-time, leave UHV, or withdraw from the semester. The web site available for loan counseling is: https://studentloans.gov/. If loan borrowers need to defer payments or request a forbearance on his or her Federal Stafford loan(s) while in repayment, forms are available at www.tgslc.org.

If students are planning to receive financial aid at UHV as co-enrolled students, they must complete a Consortium Agreement form each semester they co-enroll. In addition, a copy of the student’s class schedule and paid fee receipt is required as proof of enrollment. The Consortium Agreement form can be located at http://www.uhv.edu/ofa/forms.aspx . UHV currently has consortium agreements with Austin Community College, Coastal Bend College, Houston Community College, The Victoria College and Wharton County Junior College. Consortium agreement forms are also available for students co-enrolling with UH, UH-Downtown and UH-Clear Lake. Federal regulations may not allow students to receive financial aid from two institutions simultaneously or for classes that will not transfer to the student’s UHV degree plan.

Due to the wide range of financial aid available, the specific processes for applying, and the constant change in available funding, students are encouraged to contact UHV financial aid personnel early in the process and to keep the staff informed of any changes that may occur which would affect his/her ability to pay for educational expenses.

UH-Victoria Programs of Financial Assistance
Hinson-Hazlewood Loans
Federal College Work-Study Program
Federal Direct Loan Program (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Program
*Federal Pell Grant Program
*Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Program
*Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
Federal TEACH Grant
Miscellaneous State Scholarships (5th Year Accounting, License Plate, etc.)
*Texas B-On-Time Loan
Texas College Work-Study Program
* TEXAS Grant
Texas Public Education Grants (Resident or Nonresident)
Tuition Offset Grants
UHV Scholarships

* For Undergraduate Students Only

For a brief description of the criteria of the programs listed above, contact the Office of Financial Aid or log on to www.uhv.edu/ofa.

Endowed scholarship funds are awarded on the basis of financial need and academic merit. To view the online listing of university scholarships, go to http://www.uhv.edu/ofa/scholarships.aspx . In addition, the community and civic organizations award several scholarships to UHV students. Some of the organizations require you to complete their applications. Information on new student scholarships may also be obtained by contacting a UHV recruiter in the student’s prospective Academic School (ex. Arts & Sciences, Nursing, etc.). At times, UHV offers special scholarship incentive programs. If a student is recommended for one of the scholarships, the student must complete the UHV Scholarship Application.

Bureau of Indian Education -- Higher Education Grant Program
The BIE Higher Education Grant provides supplemental financial aid to the eligible American Indian/Alaska Native student seeking a Bachelor’s degree. Students must be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendent of a member of an American Indian tribe which is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Education. Students must be accepted for admission to UHV and demonstrate financial need. The grant application is available with the education officer of the Tribe in which the student is affiliated or possesses membership. For a tribal directory, go to http://library.doi.gov/internet/subject/triballeaders11.pdf. If the student's tribe is not administering the grant program, they can direct you to the nearest Bureau of Indian Affairs, Education Line Officer for the application. For more information, review the following website: http://www.bie.edu/idc/groups/xbie/documents/text/idc-008101.pdf. Full-time Graduate students who are members of a federally recognized Indian/Alaska Native tribe can contact the American Indian Graduate Center for an application at (505) 881-4584. Additional information is available at the following website: http://www.aigcs.org/.

Tuition and Fee Exemptions
Exemptions and waivers are issued only for the period in which a student is currently enrolled; therefore, applications must be submitted no later than the official closing day of the semester or summer term being attended. An example is the Hazlewood Act Exemption. The UHV Bursar’s Office processes tuition exemptions and waivers. For a listing of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board exemptions, log onto the College For Texans website, http://www.collegefortexans.com.