VOICE – Victoria Online Initial Certification for Educators
The VOICE program is an accelerated university based route to teacher certification for all grades designed to meet the requirements of “No Child Left Behind.” Coursework is offered on-line and candidates participate in a school-based field experience with university supervision. To be accepted into this program, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree completion
- Official transcripts from all previous universities on file in the Admissions Office
- Pass the Pre-Admission Content Test (PACT) in your certification area prior to being admitted to the program
- Pass the THEA, TSI complete or have a minimum GRE exam score of 800 (verbal & Quantitative sections)
- Pass a criminal background check
- 2.75 GPA in last 60 hours of coursework
- Maintain a 2.75 GPA in the VOICE program with no more than two “C’s”
- Provide a letter of standing if you were previously in an Initial Teacher Certification Program
- There is a non-refundable $60 service charge to apply for this program. Due dates for applications: Fall – July 15th; Spring – November 15th; Summer – April 15th
Late application due dates: Fall – August 15th; Spring – December 15th; Summer – May 15th.
Applications received after the due date are charged an extra $100 late fee.
- All Teacher Certification candidates must pass all UHV courses required for teacher certification with a “C” or better after June 1, 2008.
- According to Texas Administrative Code 228.35 – candidate must complete 80 clock hours of field-based observation to be completed prior to student teaching or internship. Appropriate activities include substitute teaching, hours spent as a classroom aide or classroom observations. See TERO for documentation requirements.
- According to Texas Administrative Code 228.35 – candidate must complete 80 clock hours of training prior to student teaching or internship. Completion of 2 VOICE courses will fulfill this requirement.