Student Relations

Click to Open Printer Friendly Version in New Window

Office of Student Recruitment and Relations
University West, Suite 133
3007 N Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.570.4137 Fax: 361.570.4136
Toll free: 877-970-4848 ext. 137

University of Houston-Victoria invites students to make use of the student relations services established for their use. The Office of Student Relations (OSR) serves as a clearinghouse for the various needs of students including:

General Services
First-aid kit, jumper cables, slim-jim for vehicles, academic calendars may be obtained from the OSR. Transparencies, laminations, scantrons and blue books may be purchased for a nominal fee.

An application for graduation is to be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records by the published deadlines. The University hosts two commencement ceremonies, one following the Spring semester and one following the Fall semester. Students applying for graduation will be asked to indicate whether or not they will be participating in the commencement ceremony. Only those students who indicate that they will be participating will receive information from the Office of Student Relations concerning caps and gowns, announcements, etc. Caps, gowns, rings and graduation invitations may be ordered through The Victoria College Bookstore.

UH-Victoria has no on-campus student housing. However, the OSR posts current information about available rooms and apartments. Students are encouraged to check the student classifieds bulletin board for this information. An apartment guide is available to students looking for housing.

Identification Cards
Student identification (ID) cards are issued at the beginning of each semester. The ID cards are available at the VC/UHV Library circulation desk, in the Academic Support Office at the UH System at Sugar Land and UH System at Cinco Ranch. The student ID card is used as a means of identification on and off campus. Anyone losing or finding an ID card should go to the lost and found in the OSR on the Victoria campus, or the Academic Support Office at the UH System at Sugar Land and UH System at Cinco Ranch for students attending those campuses.

Lost and Found
The OSR acts as the agent for lost and found articles. Students are asked to contact this office immediately upon finding or losing items on the campus or in buildings used by UH-Victoria. Students at the UH System at Sugar Land and UH System at Cinco Ranch should contact the Academic Support Office.

Night Clerk
A night clerk is available during evening hours. The night clerk is located in Suite 133 of University West, Victoria Campus, and at the Academic Support Office at UH System at Sugar Land and UH System at Cinco Ranch.

Personal Counseling
Counseling is confined to crisis-intervention counseling. A referral list of professional and religious community resources is provided for those who need such services.

Student Center
Located in The Victoria College Student Center are the bookstore, dining, TV room, reading room, meeting rooms and a games area. A convenience store offers a variety of food and beverage items to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and visitors.

Student Conduct
UH-Victoria students must conform to the university’s policies and procedures. Copies of the Student Conduct Code and the Academic Sanctions and Appeals Process are available in the Student Handbook.

Student Discount Program
Students are eligible for discounts at some local businesses. A discount program brochure is available in the OSR.

Student Handbook
The student Handbook is intended to convey official university policy and procedures to students at the University of Houston-Victoria. Students should also refer to the UHV catalog, class schedules, or university officials for additional information. The Student Handbook may be accessed online at

Student Health Insurance
All university students who are not U.S. citizens must have hospitalization, medical and surgical insurance which includes a repatriation benefit. Some policies offer to pay airfare and lodging expenses for a family member or designated person to help oversee the student’s evacuation to their home country in the event of extreme illness. International students are responsible for obtaining their personal insurance coverage and are notified of this responsibility in the Statement of Understanding that is required before being admitted to UHV. Information on International Health Insurance plans is available in the Office of Student Relations. A hospital, medical and surgical insurance plan is available to all university students at a nominal cost. Information on available insurance plans for domestic and international students can be obtained upon request from the Office of Student Relations or by visiting our website at Brochures are also available in the Academic Support Office at the UH System at Sugar Land, and UH System at Cinco Ranch for students attending those campuses.

Student Health Services
An online HealthyLife Students’ Self-Care Guide is available at Students can access information about common health problems.

Student Lounges
Student lounges are maintained for students on the first floors of the UH-Victoria buildings. Coffee (for a nominal fee), a microwave oven, a refrigerator, a television, office supplies, magazines, and newspapers are available for use. Student Lounges are also available at the UH System Sugar Land and UH System UH Cinco Ranch campuses.

Student Organizations
Opportunities for the development of leadership and a chance to help the university and community are offered to students through participation in recognized university organizations. Students are encouraged to participate in service, honor, major fields, or professional organizations. Students with high scholastic standing are eligible for invitation into the UH-Victoria chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, a national honor society, which recognizes academic excellence. Special interest groups such as the Campus Ministry (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist), G-Force, Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society, Mexican American Student Organization, Psi Chi (Psychology), and the LEAD Student Ambassadors are also available. Policies for the recognition and operation of student organizations can be obtained upon request from the OSR or accessed online at

Student Senate
Student government at UH-Victoria exists in the form of the Student Senate. This governing body’s purpose is to promote communications among constituents of UHV, enhance the unique educational environment of UHV, and address specific needs of students in order to provide a voice to and for the student body with respect to academic and cultural matters. The membership is composed of, President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, undergraduate and graduate Senators representing each of the three (3) academic schools and three (3) Senators-at-Large, as well as a representative from UHS-SL and UHS-CR. All members are elected each Spring by the student body. Additional information can be accessed from the student handbook at

Student Travel
Texas Education Code, Section 51.949, as enacted by the 77th Legislature requires the regulation of certain types of student travel sponsored, supported or sanctioned by the university. UHS System Administrative Policy 03.E.08, establishes the system-wide policy for this type of travel. UHV policy on the applicable student travel can be found at

Students With Disabilities
Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the OSR about any specific needs they have for readers, writers, or equipment services. A Voyager CCD closed-circuit television, which magnifies images for the visually-impaired student, is available in the VC/UH-Victoria Library. The university attempts to create a barrier-free environment. Students who require special services because of a disability should contact the Coordinator of Student Relations at the UHV campus. Special parking permits should be requested Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. from the switchboard operator at the kiosk area in UHV University Center.

Study Areas
Several study areas are available on the UHV/VC campus. In University Center, group study rooms are available in Rooms 301 A-D. Students are welcome to study in vacant classrooms. The Victoria College Student Center Room E and the Student Activities Room can be used by UHV students for studying. There are also many study areas in the UHV-VC Library. Study area for the UH System at Sugar Land is located in the library on the 2nd floor. Study area for UH System at Cinco Ranch is in the library.