Academic Policies

Click to Open Printer Friendly Version in New Window

Academic Policies

Student Classification

The undergraduate studentís classification is based on the total number of semester hours earned at UH-Victoria and accepted in transfer from other colleges and universities, regardless of whether or not the courses involved are applicable to the studentís major or degree plan.

Students are expected to complete all lower-division course requirements prior to reaching senior status.


Sophomore 30-53 semester hours Junior 54-89 semester hours * Senior 90 or more semester hours

* A minimum of 54 semester hours in nonremedial college level course work is required for unconditional admission to UH-Victoria.

The postbaccalaureate classification describes a student who has a degree but who is not enrolled in a formal graduate degree program. This classification accommodates students who are: 1) awaiting admission to a graduate program; 2) seeking an additional baccalaureate degree; and 3) taking courses with no degree objective. A postbaccalaureate student may not receive graduate degree credit for courses completed while in this classification but may petition for graduate degree credit after admission to a graduate program as described in the ADMISSIONS section of this catalog.

The temporary graduate student has a bachelorís degree from an accredited institution but is not enrolled in a graduate program. This classification allows a student who intends to enroll in a graduate program to take up to 12 credit hours of graduate work before being admitted to the graduate program.

The graduate classification denotes the student who is formally admitted to a graduate program.

Graduation with Honors

Subject to the approval of the appropriate dean and the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, students who complete their degree requirements with exceptionally high scholastic averages will be eligible for baccalaureate degrees with honors. To be graduated with honors, students must have completed at least 30 semester hours at UH-Victoria and achieved a grade point average in accordance with the following scale:


3.50 - 3.67 Cum laude

3.68 - 3.84 Magna cum laude

3.85 - 4.0 Summa cum laude

For students with 45 semester hours or more at UH-Victoria, the grade point average for honors is calculated only on courses taken at UH-Victoria. For students with 30-44 semester hours at UH-Victoria, the grade point average for honors is calculated on the basis of all upper-division courses completed, so long as the grade point average at UH-Victoria is at least a 3.50. All college courses attempted are included in the grade point average, including repeated courses. For purposes of the commencement program, honors candidates are identified by their grades through their second to last semester of coursework. However, the degrees of all graduates who have earned honors will indicate that they have received them. Postbaccalaureate students earning a second baccalaureate degree may graduate with honors in accordance with the same criteria used for students earning their first baccalaureate degree.

Course Load

Course Load Status
The following table defines a studentís course load status by semester/term and classification.

Semester or Term


Minimum Semester Hour Requirement for Full-Time Status

Minimum Semester Hour Requirement for Half-Time Status

Fall or Spring Semester







5-Week Term







10-Week Term







The course load of a student enrolled in both a 5-week summer term and 10-week summer session is computed by adding the semester hours for the 5-week term to one-half of those taken over 10 weeks and using that total under 5-week term in the table above. Certification of full-time equivalency by the dean is required if the graduate student is registered for less than these specified full-time loads.

Maximum Course Load

The following table defines the maximum course load in semester credit hours for which a student may enroll without approval of the dean of the studentís major.



Fall or Spring Semester

5-Week Term*

10-Week Session

Entire Summer **






Undergraduate on Probation





Graduate or Postbaccalaureate





* One-half of a studentís enrollment in 10-week classes should be added to any 5-week enrollment to determine the total load for the 5-week term.
** Only the senior student who is graduating in August may complete a maximum of 15 semester hours for the entire summer with a maximum of 9 semester hours in one 5-week term.
P A student enrolled for 9 semester hours of student teaching may enroll for a maximum of 13 semester hours.


Independent Studies

Independent studies are intended to supplement or extend regular coursework. Only demonstrably capable students with a significant base of regular coursework in a field should seek to undertake an independent study. Independent studies:

  1. Must have the approval of the sponsoring faculty member and school dean.

  2. Should not duplicate scheduled courses or serve as a substitute for regular courses. School deans may approve exceptions if students are otherwise unable to make reasonable progress toward a degree.

  3. Should be completed in one semester or summer.

  4. Must require at least the same total commitment of time and effort as a regular course.

  5. Must require at least three scheduled conferences between the student and sponsoring faculty member.

  6. Must require, as appropriate, a written plan of study prepared by the student or faculty member, including topic, purpose, proposed method of inquiry, tentative description of scope and focus, and method of evaluating the learning achieved.

  7. Must require at least one graded report, paper, examination, or some combination of these.

Grading System

A Excellent, superior achievement

I Incomplete

B Good, exceeding all requirements

S Satisfactory

C Average, satisfactorily meeting all requirements

U Unsatisfactory

D Poor, passing

W Withdrawal from course

F Failing or withdrawal while doing failing work



Explanation of Grades

Passing grades awarded are A,B,C,D and S. No semester hours of credit are awarded for the failing grades of F and U.

S and U -- The grades of S and U may be awarded in certain specified courses.

I -- The grade of I is a conditional and temporary grade given when a student is passing a course but, for reasons beyond the studentís control, has completed all but a relatively small part of the course requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate the change to a permanent grade. The instructor of record is the only person who can make such a change except in extraordinary cases. Effective Fall 2006, the grade of ďIĒ must be changed by fulfillment of course requirements within one year of the date awarded or it will be changed automatically to an ďFĒ or ďUĒ for courses with ďS/UĒ options, unless the instructor authorizes an extension of one semester in writing to the registrar. Any grade of I not made up by the date of graduation will be treated as an F for determination of graduation requirements.

W -- The grade of W indicates (a) that the student was passing or (b) that there were no evaluative data available at the time the student dropped the course. The grade of W is assigned only in cases in which a course is dropped after the date indicated in the Academic Calendar as the last day to drop a course without receiving a grade, but before the last day to drop a course or withdraw from the university.

Change of Final Grade
Final grades are not subject to change, except under the following conditions:

  1. The instructorís written notification to the registrar of an error in calculating or recording a final grade. Notification is submitted through the school dean.

  2. A successful student grade appeal, in accordance with procedures described in the Student Handbook.

Note that faculty members may, at their discretion, assign an incomplete, given circumstances described above under that grade.


Grade Point Average
Four grade points are awarded for each semester hour in which the student receives an A, three grade points for each semester hour of B, two grade points for each semester hour of C, one grade point for each semester hour of D and no grade point for an F. The grade point average is the quotient (calculated to four decimal places and truncated to two places) obtained by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the number of semester hours in which a student is enrolled. Grades of A, B, C, D, S, and U are completion grades; grades of I and W are not completion grades. Grades of S,U,I and W are not assigned grade point values and are not used in the computation of the grade point average.

For graduation requirements and academic probation and suspension, only the last completion grade recorded for repeated courses is used in computing the cumulative grade point average for courses at UH-Victoria. However, all college courses attempted are included in the grade point average, including repeated courses, for undergraduate graduation with honors (see ďGraduation with HonorsĒ). Any grade of I not made up by the date of graduation will be treated as an F for determination of graduation requirements.


Academic Dishonesty

Academic Dishonesty  may take a variety of forms, ranging from breach of ethics to a criminal offense. The faculty and administration of UH-Victoria view academic dishonesty as a significant breach of ethical conduct which incurs various disciplinary actions. Policies and procedures are outlined in the Academic Honesty policy in the UHV Student Handbook.

Academic Probation or Suspension - Undergraduate Students
The undergraduate student is expected to maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average for hours attempted at this institution, which is the minimum permitted for graduation. A student is subject to scholastic action any semester or summer session in which one or more semester hours is attempted. The combined summer terms are considered a unit equivalent to a semester.

  1. The university employs a cumulative grade point system for scholastic action. The cumulative grade point average is based only upon the studentís work taken at UH-Victoria for which the grade point values are assigned. For repeated courses, only the semester hours and grades earned on the last enrollment will be used for computation of the cumulative grade point average.

    1. When a sophomore (30 to 53 semester hours) has earned a cumulative grade point average below 1.7, the student is placed on probation at the close of the fall, spring or summer session. If the student fails to meet the minimum cumulative grade point average requirement in the next semester of attendance, the student will be suspended.

    2. When a junior (54 to 89 semester hours) has earned a cumulative grade point average below 1.8, the student is placed on probation at the close of the fall, spring or summer session. If the student fails to meet the minimum cumulative grade point average requirement in the next semester of attendance, the student will be suspended.

    3. When a senior (90 or more semester hours) or postbaccalaureate student has earned a cumulative grade point average below 1.9, the student is placed on probation at the close of the fall, spring or summer session. If the student fails to meet the minimum cumulative grade point average requirement in the next semester of attendance, the student will be suspended.

    4. A student on academic probation whose semester grade point average is 2.0 or higher will not be suspended at the close of that semester even though the cumulative grade point average remains below the required average for that classification. The studentís status will remain ďacademic probation.íí

  2. Credit awarded by examination and hours earned with a grade of S are counted in determining classification but not in determining the grade point average.

  3. Grade changes:
    If an instructor changes a studentís grade in a course from I (incomplete) to a grade of completion (A, B, C, D, F, or S), the new grade will affect the studentís status only for future semesters. That is, the new grade will not change a studentís status retroactively but may remove a student from probation or suspension for a semester (or semesters) after the grade has been changed.

Removal from Academic Probation
The student may be removed from probation at the close of a semester in which the cumulative grade point average meets the required standard for that classification.

Readmission from Academic Suspension
The period of suspension and the studentís subsequent readmission on academic probation are based on the entire academic record at all colleges attended. The first suspension is applicable, therefore, only to the student never previously suspended
  1. A first suspension applies to the fall or spring semester, plus any intervening summer sessions, immediately following the suspension. A student would be eligible to reenroll after the suspension period.

  2. If suspended a second time, regardless of institution, the student may not reenroll for a period of at least one year (12 months). Readmission from a second suspension may be approved only by the dean of the studentís school. The petition for readmission must be made in writing and supported by transcripts of all college work.

  3. If suspended a third time, regardless of institution, a student may not reenroll at UH-Victoria, except by successful appeal to the Academic Council. An appeal must be in writing and ordinarily will be considered only if the student has been out of school for several years and/or is eligible to return to any previous institution attended.


Deanís List

The Deanís List, a tabulation of the names of all undergraduate honor students, is compiled each fall and spring semester.

To qualify for this recognition, the student must earn at least a 3.5 grade point average on all work completed during the semester. A minimum of nine semester hours, excluding courses in which grades of S were earned, is required for consideration. Any student who earns a grade of I, D, F or U during the semester is excluded from consideration for the list.


Class Attendance

Students are expected to be diligent in their studies and regular in class attendance. The university has no policy allowing a certain number of excused absences or cuts. Instructors will announce their attendance policies at the beginning of the course. A student whose absences are determined by the instructor to be excessive shall be dropped from the course with a grade of W or F. In the event a student may have unusual absences, it is the studentís responsibility to contact instructors.

Absences caused by participation in a university-sponsored activity are considered official if the sponsor of the activity has received approval from the administration. The student must make up the work missed even though the absences are official.


Drops and Withdrawals

To ensure that they do not incur unnecessary penalties, students dropping courses or withdrawing from the university should complete the requisite procedures (see ďStudent Drop or WithdrawalĒ below). Students who stop attending a course without completing the procedures should expect to receive an F.

The effective date recorded for termination of enrollment for all matters relating to university records shall be the date the drop or withdrawal is completed through VIP or online, or the date the drop/withdrawal form or written request is received by the Office of Admissions and Records, regardless of the date of last class attendance. Refunds for dropped courses are made according to the refund regulation schedule in the BILLING AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION section of this catalog.

Student Drop or Withdrawal
During periods of availability, a student may drop any or all courses using the online enrollment services. After or between periods of online availability, to drop a course or withdraw from all courses, students must submit the appropriate drop/withdrawal forms available in the Office of Admissions and Records. Note: If it is not possible to drop or withdraw in person, a written request may be mailed to the Office of Admissions and Records, University of Houston-Victoria, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901. Written requests to drop or withdraw may also be faxed to (361) 570-4114; however, the University is not responsible for requests arriving late, illegible, or incomplete. The date the drop is completed through VIP/online or the date the drop/withdrawal form or written request is received by the Office of Admissions and Records is the official date for all matters relating to university business regardless of the date of last class attendance.

  1. If enrollment is terminated on or before the last day to drop without receiving a grade (a date listed in the Academic Calendar), no grade will be assigned, and the course will not appear on the studentís permanent record.

  2. If enrollment is terminated after the above date but before the last day to drop or withdraw (a date also listed in the Academic Calendar), a grade of W or F will be assigned by the instructor at the close of the semester, and the course and grade will appear on the studentís permanent record. Students should contact their instructor before dropping a course to verify the final grade they will receive.

  3. Withdrawal from the university: In addition to completing the procedures explained above, students who are dropping all courses must return all library books and laboratory equipment and have the university record clear in every respect. If a student is unable to come to the Office of Admissions and Records at the time of withdrawal, the student may write to request that the withdrawal be made. The recorded date for the withdrawal shall be the date the studentís letter is received. If the withdrawal comes after the last date to withdraw without receiving a grade, the student is responsible for contacting the instructor(s) to verify what the course grade(s) will be.

Instructor Withdrawal
For justifiable reasons, an instructor may drop a student from a course by submitting an Instructorís Drop Report to the Office of Admissions and Records. Reasons for dropping a student may include excessive absences, lack of prerequisites or corequisites for the course, disruption of the academic process, academic dishonesty, or inability of the student to complete the withdrawal procedures. This can occur at any time prior to the last day to drop a course or withdraw from the university as listed in the Academic Calendar. This will result in a W or F, as appropriate. A student who is dropped may make timely appeal through the dean of the school in which the course is taught.

In extraordinary cases in which a student is passing but could not initiate a course drop prior to the last day to drop a course or withdraw from the university, the instructor may, at his or her discretion, assign a grade of W on the final grade sheet along with a note of explanation in the remarks column.

University Withdrawal
In addition to suspension for academic and/or disciplinary causes, a student may be withdrawn by the university for Financial and/or medical reasons.

  1. Cashier Withdrawal

    A student who is delinquent in financial obligations of any nature to the university may be withdrawn from the university. The student may not be reinstated at the university until all financial obligations are met.

  2. Medical Withdrawal

    A student may be withdrawn by the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Services for medical reasons. In such cases the Coordinator of Student Relations will notify in writing the studentís dean of the action taken and the effective date. The dean will be asked to notify the studentís instructors of the action in order that they may take the circumstances into account when awarding grades.

Military Withdrawal
In accordance with the Texas Education Code 54.006 (f):
If a student withdraws from the University of Houston-Victoria because the student is called to active military service, the following options apply:
(1) Upon the studentís request, the university will refund the tuition and fees paid by the student for the semester in which the student withdraws;
(2) Upon the studentís request and as determined by the instructor, the university will grant a student who, at the time of military deployment, is passing a course or courses and has completed all but a relatively small part of the course requirements:

(a) an incomplete grade in any or all courses;
(b) an appropriate final grade or credit in any or all courses.

Students or their representatives may request withdrawal and refund by presenting evidence of the call to active military duty to the Registrarís Office. Students receiving Title IV federal funds should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Graduation Under a Particular Catalog

A student normally is entitled to graduate under the degree provisions of the catalog in effect at the time of the studentís first completed semester of enrollment. These exceptions apply:

  1. A catalog more than 10 years old shall not be used.

  2. The program of the student who interrupts enrollment (for reasons other than involuntary military service) for more than one calendar year shall be governed by the catalog in effect at the time of the studentís reentrance to the university. The student who interrupts enrollment for involuntary military service must reenroll within one year from the date of separation from service and no more than five years from the beginning of military service in order for this provision to apply. For these purposes, enrollment shall be defined as registration for and successful completion of at least one course during an academic term. A student forced to withdraw for adequate cause before completion of a course may petition for a waiver of this provision at the time of withdrawal.

  3. The program of the student who changes a major from one school to another within the university shall be governed by the degree requirements in effect at the time the change of major becomes effective.

  4. At the discretion of the dean, with the advice and consent of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the student will be required to comply with all changes in the curriculum made subsequent to the year in which the student is enrolled. Deletions and additions of courses will be of approximately equal credit so that no student will have an overall appreciable increase of total credits required for graduation.

  5. Any student transferring directly to UH-Victoria from a junior college can qualify to graduate under the UH-Victoria catalog in effect when the student entered the junior college if the core curriculum provisions of the Coordinating Board are followed, subject to the following limitation: if the student interrupts studies for more than two consecutive semesters (not including summer sessions) at the junior college or before transfer to UH-Victoria, the student must qualify for graduation under the catalog in effect upon returning to the junior college or upon matriculating at UH-Victoria.

  6. The program of a student who completes upper level requirements for graduation under a particular catalog will continue to be governed by that same catalog for one year only, even if the student completes lower level requirements more than one year after completing upper level requirements.

Degree Plan


You are responsible for all requirements of the catalog under which you will be graduated. During your first semester of attendance at the university, if you are in the School of Arts and Sciences or the School of Business Administration, your degree plan counselor will initiate your degree plan. If you are in the School of Education and Human Development you should consult your faculty advisor. The degree plan counselor will work with you and your faculty advisor to complete a plan for approval. You will sign the plan. The advisor and appropriate school dean also sign when approving it, and the Office of Admissions and Records validates the degree plan before it becomes an official document. You will receive a copy when the process is complete, ordinarily during the same semester in which the process began.

The original degree plan is kept on file in the Office of Admissions and Records and you and the school of your major will each receive a copy. Since the degree plan represents your commitment to complete the requirements and the universityís commitment to hold you accountable for meeting those requirements, it is a very important document. In order to change it in any way, secure a substitution form from the Office of Admissions and Records or the school office of your major. The academic advisor and school dean must approve the change and the Office of Admissions and Records validate it before it becomes official.

Please note that if you interrupt enrollment for more than one calendar year, you will need a new degree plan upon your return to UHV.


Application For Graduation


UHV does not automatically award a degree when you complete your scholastic requirements. To be considered as a candidate for a degree, you must submit an application for graduation to the Office of Admissions and Records. You can file an application either during the semester prior to, or during the semester in which you plan to graduate. If you applied for graduation in any past semester but were disapproved, you must re-file an application for graduation.

The deadlines to apply for graduation during the 2006-2007 academic year are as follows:


Fall 2006 graduates:

Friday, September 22, 2006

Spring 2007 graduates:

Friday, February 16, 2007

Summer 2007 graduates:

Friday, June 8, 2007

There are typically two commencement ceremonies per year, one for Spring and one for Fall. At the present time, Summer semester graduates participate during the Fall ceremony. You should contact The Victoria College Bookstore to obtain information on caps, gowns, rings, and invitations.

You must be on track to complete all requirements toward your degree in the semester for which you plan to participate in commencement. If all requirements for graduation cannot be met during the current semester, you may be denied participation in the commencement ceremony. For information concerning eligibility to participate in one of the ceremonies, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records, 361-570-4110 or 1-877-970-4848, ext. 110.

Posthumous Degrees
In accordance with established procedures, which are available from the Registrar, the University of Houston-Victoria may award posthumous degrees on request.

Academic Advising


Faculty advisors assist with developing the degree plan and are available to assist with selecting courses each term but are not responsible for checking to see that students have met the requirements. Students are responsible for meeting the degree requirements specified in their catalog and degree plan. Students should apply for graduation one semester prior to their intended graduation date. The application will trigger a detailed review, revealing any requirements left to complete.

Graduate Assistants


Statute: Section 54.063 A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistantís degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution.

Graduate assistants employed at least half time by any public institution of higher education in a degree program-related position, with an effective date of employment on or before the official census date, of the relevant term(s), may pay the same tuition while attending the employing institution as a resident of Texas for themselves, their spouses, and their dependent children, regardless of the length of residence in the state. The institution which employs the students shall determine whether or not the studentsí jobs relate to their degree programs. This provision applies to eligible graduate assistants and their dependents no matter which Texas public institution of higher education they may attend. It is the intent of this rule that employment be for the duration of the period of enrollment for which a waiver is awarded.

Graduate assistantships are awarded only to graduate students and must be approved by the appropriate academic school. The work involved must be relevant to the recipientís degree program and of value to the university. Assistantships are ordinarily provided by the academic schools but may also be provided by other administrative units, so long as the assistantship meets the above criteria and is approved in writing by the dean of the appropriate school.