UHV Quick Links

2013-2014 Catalog


General Admission/Application Information

General Admission/Application Information | Program Plans | Undergraduate Student Admission | Postbaccalaureate Student Admission | Temporary Graduate Student Admission | Graduate Student Admission | International Student Admission

In order to be considered for admission a student must send appropriate documents and credentials to the Office of Admissions. For timely and accurate processing, students should ensure that all official documents have been submitted prior to registration. Students are encouraged to request electronic transmission of all transcripts; such transmission may shorten the processing time by two or three days.

For additional information contact Office of Admissions:

Email: admissions@uhv.edu


The Apply Texas Application may be submitted by students who are U.S. citizens or Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) of the United States. To access the Apply Texas Application, see the UHV website www.uhv.edu and click on “Apply Now”.

International applicants who currently hold a visa that permits enrollment, or have pending permanent residence status, may submit the Apply Texas Application for International Students. From the UHV homepage, www.uhv.edu, choose the link for Future Students, then select International Students from the list on the following page. This link will direct you to the International Student information page. Here you will find steps to the admission process listed, links to required admission forms, and related information in the left column under International Students.

When applicants submit the completed application, an email confirmation from Apply Texas will be sent to the applicant stating that the application was submitted successfully. UHV’s Office of Admissions will receive the application in 24 to 48 hours, and the applicant will receive a myUHV ID by email. The applicant will then be able to log in and check their admission status through myUHV Self Service. Applicants may also be contacted by email to provide additional information needed for the admission process.

Applications for admission should be submitted as early as possible to ensure time for processing before registration. The completed application, with supporting documents, constitutes the basis upon which eligibility for admission is determined. All questions on the application must be answered fully. Admission is invalid if granted on the basis of incorrect information or omitted facts, which if known, would have caused the applicant to be ineligible. A former student of UH-Victoria is not required to file a new application for admission.

A student must contact the Office of Admissions if he/she does not enroll for the semester/term indicated on the original application.


There are no specific deadlines for admission applications from citizens or permanent residents of the United States. However, applicants should submit credentials as early as possible to ensure adequate time for processing before registration. There may be certain programs offered at UHV that have deadlines; please refer to the academic program for specific requirements.

International students who request or currently hold an F-1 student visa must submit applications for admission and all supporting admission documentation, regardless of your degree objective, by the following dates to ensure time for processing:

Fall – June 1 Spring – October 1 Summer – March 1

English Proficiency

All students attending the University of Houston-Victoria must be proficient in the use of English. Students, regardless of immigration status, whose educational instruction has not been in the English language and/or whose first or native language is not English, must demonstrate English proficiency in one of the following ways:

TOEFL: A valid, official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam score of a minimum of 79 Internet-based Test is required. The UHV School of Nursing required minimum TOEFL score is 89. Photocopies are NOT acceptable. Scores must be less than 2 years old. You will need to request an official score report to be sent directly to the University of Houston-Victoria. The UHV school code is 6917. This TOEFL requirement is minimal. Specific graduate programs may have higher requirements. Please refer to your school’s section of the course catalog for additional information. Appeals regarding TOEFL requirements should be submitted to the Office of Admissions. Some programs at UHV may require higher TOEFL scores.

Under certain conditions, applicants who are required to submit TOEFL scores may be tested again.

Exceptions to TOEFL requirements are:

  1. Institutional TOEFL: The TOEFL exam is administered on selected dates every year at locations around the world. In addition to these international TOEFL exams, individual institutions such as the University of Houston are also authorized to administer the TOEFL exam. This TOEFL is referred to as an institutional or Satellite TOEFL. It is essentially the same in content as the international TOEFL exam but may only be recognized by the institutions that administer. UHV will recognize institutional TOEFL exams taken at one of the University of Houston System campuses. Interested applicants should contact the UHV Office of Admissions for information.
  1. Have completed 9 semester hours of lower division English in an accredited U.S. college or university, 3 of which must be in composition and 3 in literature; or
  1. Have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher in an accredited U.S. college or University; or
  1. Have completed the equivalent of at least three years of full-time study at a recognized secondary school, college or university whose primary language of instruction is English; or
  1. Are recommended for academic study by an English Language Institute recognized by the University of Houston-Victoria, after completing the highest level of Intensive English Study, or
  1. Submit International English Language Testing System (IELTS) band score of 6.5 or higher.

Immunization Requirements for UHV Students

Beginning January 2012, Texas State law (SB 1107) mandates that all entering college/university students under the age of 30 provide a certificate signed by a health care provider or an official immunization record verifying that the student has been vaccinated against bacterial meningitis, or has received a booster during the five years prior to registration. (Beginning with the Spring 2014 term, the age requirement will change to students under the age of 22.) See related information about this requirement from the Texas Department of State Health Services web page, www.CollegeVaccineRequirements.com.

The vaccine must be administered at least 10 days before the first day of the semester.

  • Fall 2013 Session: by August 16, 2013, Friday
  • Spring 2014 Session: by January 3, 2014, Friday
  • Summer 2014 Session: by May 23, 2014, Friday

Submit the completed online UHV Bacterial Meningitis Immunization Record form and immunization record via email to admissions@uhv.edu, or via fax to 361-580-5500.

Students may request an exemption from the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, including a religious belief:

The appropriate ORIGINAL FORM must be mailed to : Office of Admissions
University of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson
Victoria, TX 77901

Students enrolled only in distance education (online) courses will never take face-to-face or ITV classes should complete the Online Classes Only Immunization Waiver Form .

Readmission of Former Undergraduate Students

A student must request an Update to Admissions Application for former UHV students to a future term if the student does not enroll for the term indicated on the original application. This form is located on the UHV website under Admissions forms.

A former student must submit transcripts from all colleges attended since the last enrollment at UH-Victoria.

Readmission of Former Graduate Students

A former student of UH-Victoria is not required to file a new application for admission. If the student does not enroll for the term indicated on the original application they must submit a Graduate Studies Form for the new term and/or program. Form is located on the Admissions Forms webpage.

A former student must submit transcripts from all colleges attended since the last enrollment at UH-Victoria.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to have complete, official transcripts sent directly from each institution of higher education the applicant has attended to the Office of Admissions of UH-Victoria.  For 2nd Degree BSN and MSN applicants in the School of Nursing, it is the responsibility of the applicant to submit all official transcripts to Nursing CAS.  Please refer to the School of Nursing section of this catalog for more information.

UHV considers transcripts official only when they bear both the signature of the registrar and the seal of the issuing school and are sent directly to the UHV Office of Admissions from the registrar’s office of each school the applicant has attended. The applicant must submit a transcript of any college work attempted previously at another institution whether or not the applicant earned any credit.  For 2nd Degree BSN and MSN applicants, UHV will consider the PDF transcripts securely provided by NursingCAS as official for use in admissions decisions.  However, UHV reserves the right to require an applicant to send a set of official transcripts directly to UHV.

If the applicant’s official transcript(s) have not arrived at the UHV Office of Admissions by the 12th class day of a fall or spring semester/term or the 4th class day of a summer term, UHV may administratively withdraw the applicant from all classes for the term. Also, UHV may require the applicant to forfeit all tuition and fees. Records from one institution carried on a transcript from a second institution do not qualify as credentials for admission.

In computing undergraduate grade point averages for admissions purposes, only the semester hours and grade points earned on the last enrollment in a repeated course will be used for computation of the required grade point average for admission.

International Students (non U.S. citizen nor a permanent resident of the United States; a holder or prospective holder of an F-1 student visa) – See “International Student Admission” section for additional information regarding international transcripts and/or evaluations.

All transcripts, marks, and certificates submitted to UHV become the property of the university and are not returned to students. If only one set of documents is issued by the student’s country of origin, students should send attested/certified copies of the documents/translations in the appropriate manner indicated below. DO NOT send the original document issued to the student by the university or government agency. UHV is not responsible for damage to original documents submitted by applicants. For possible temporary conditional admission, take the original document to a campus location nearby and request that a UHV staff member make a copy of the original document for submission to the Office of Admissions.

Transcripts become the property of UH-Victoria and cannot be returned. They will remain on file in the UHV Office of Admissions for two years or until the applicant enrolls at UHV, whichever occurs first.

A transcript request form for applicants from international institutions is available on the Admissions web page,www.uhv.edu/oar/forms.aspx . Students may print theInternational Academic Records Request Form, complete the top part of the form, then submit to their international institution with any required payment due to request a transcript be sent to the Office of Admissions. The form will be completed by the registrar and returned to UHV with the transcript and will verify degree completion.