Skip to Main Content
UHV Logo
University of Houston-Victoria

International Student Admission

The University of Houston-Victoria is authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to enroll international students who enter the United States with an F-1 student visa.  The following information pertains to admission for the F-1 visa holder.  The Office of Admissions is required by law to enter student information and update the student information each semester/term in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) regarding student enrollment and related personal information. The Office of Admissions will issue an I-20 to students who are fully approved to a program of study at UHV after the following steps for admission to the university are completed by the student.

Admissions/Other Requirements:

All other admission requirements that apply to the level of admission the student is seeking will be required for admission to the undergraduate or graduate program of choice.  Undergraduate students seeking admission to UHV will not be issued an I-20 for transfer purposes unless all lower-level course requirements within their degree program have been met.

Graduate applicants will submit to the Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment all essays, letters of recommendation, personal statements and other information required for approval to the graduate program they are seeking.  The admissions analyst will assemble the necessary documents and submit them to the appropriate academic school for the Dean’s decision regarding approval to the program.


International students must submit applications for admission and all supporting admission documentation, regardless of your degree objective, by the following dates to ensure time for processing:                               

Fall – June 1          Spring – October 1              Summer – March 1

Some programs of study, both undergraduate and graduate, may have priority deadlines.  All other priority deadlines must be met in addition to the international student admission deadline.

Full-Course Load Requirement

International students who hold an F-1 visa must be in compliance with the regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.  Enrollment in online courses during the fall and spring terms is limited to one online class within the full-course load.  It is the F-1 student’s responsibility to monitor their schedule to comply with this requirement in order to maintain legal visa status while in the United States.  Failure to comply with this requirement may lead to termination of the student’s F-1 visa status and possible deportation.  No tuition or fees will be refunded to the student in this instance, and degree completion may be delayed or indefinitely interrupted.

What to Submit:

  1. A completed international application for admission.  See the international student information on the International Admissions web page.  International Programs
  2. An official transcript, mark sheets and degree/diploma certificate from EACH higher secondary school, college or university attended, sent directly from each institution to University of Houston – Victoria, Office of Admissions, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria TX 77901-5731.
  • All transcripts, marks, and certificates submitted to UHV become the property of the university and are not returned to students.  If only one set of documents is issued by the student’s country of origin, students should send attested/certified copies of the documents, with translations if needed, in the appropriate manner indicated below.  DO NOT send the original document issued to the student by the university or government agency.  UHV is not responsible for damage to original documents submitted by applicants.
  • Include transcript and certificates that show higher secondary school completion.
  • If a student has previously obtained a comprehensive evaluation from an outside agency, UHV may accept an official copy of the evaluation and a copy of the original documents for admission purposes when the evaluation document indicates verification of attendance and degrees.  The Office of Admissions staff will review a copy of the evaluation and determine whether the student should request the agency to send the evaluation copy, as well as a copy of the documents evaluated, directly to the Office of Admissions. 
  • When possible, applicants should use the International Academic Records Request Form located on  the Admissions web page to request records: International Academic Records Request Form
  • If original documents are not issued in English, two sets of official transcripts/certificates are required.  One set must be in the original language and one English translation describing all academic studies attempted and completed must be on file before the final evaluation can proceed.  Translations should be word-for-word, in the same format as the original document text. Transcripts should plainly indicate the dates of attendance, the subjects, and the marks (grades) earned.  They should also reflect any degrees or diplomas awarded.
  • Official transcripts should be issued directly to UHV by the registrar, principal or responsible head of each institution attended.  When this is not possible, documents certified by an embassy or consular official, or government agency in charge of educational verification as true copies may be accepted.  Notarized documents by government agencies are not accepted as official. 
  • Uncertified or unattested copies are not acceptable for unconditional admission to the university.  The university will make a reasonable determination of those courses completed outside the United States.  However, international students may be required to have a catalog match evaluation performed by an outside agency in order to determine course equivalencies.  This may take longer to complete, and it is imperative that students submit international documents as early as possible to ensure adequate time for application approval.  
  1. Test Score Requirements:
    1. Undergraduate applicants who live outside the United States must submit SAT scores according to provisions of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), sent directly from National Evaluation Systems, Inc. to UHV; or, the scores/TSI completion must appear on an official transcript being sent from a U.S. college or university formerly attended.  A minimum SAT composite score of 1070, math minimum score of 500, and Critical Reading/Verbal minimum score of 500 are required prior to registration in courses toward a degree program.
    2. Graduate Applicants must submit scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), or Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores, letters, and essays that are required by their desired degree program.  See appropriate school section of this catalog for more information.  The GRE aptitude (verbal and quantitative sections only) is required for most majors.  GMAT is required for all MBA applicants and the minimum score is 450.   MAT scores may be substituted for the GRE by counseling education applicants.  The scores will be used with your grade point average to calculate a graduate admission index.  Nursing applicants to the MSN program must submit Health Sciences Reasoning Test scores or Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test scores.  See additional information on the test score requirements in the following paragraphs under Graduate Admission
  2. TOEFL exam score report must be requested by the student to be sent to UHV directly from the testing center, or the applicant must meet one of the exemption requirements.  See the information on English Proficiency in the “General Admission/Application Information” section for additional information regarding minimum scores and exemptions.
  3. The UHV F-1 Student Visa Form with applicant or sponsor’s supporting bank documents verifying funds available in English with dollar amounts in U.S. dollars must be submitted before an I-20 may be issued to the applicant.  The minimum amounts needed for study at UHV during the Academic Year is posted on the International Student information page of the university website: F1 Student Agreement Form  These amounts are subject to change due to Texas legislative action and UHV policy changes. 
  4. Photocopies of all previous and current U.S. immigration documents should be submitted by students who are already in the United States.  For students outside the U.S., submit photocopy of passport pages with legal name of student applicant and dependents, if they will travel to the U.S. to live with applicant.  For students who will transfer to UHV from an institution in the United States, the admissions officer will facilitate the transfer through SEVIS after the student is approved for admission to UHV.

Contact Us

University Of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901

877-970-4848 Texas Toll Free

Request Information about UHV

Get Info

Social Networks

    LinkedIn icon  UHVconnect icon  YouTube icon  Jag Sync icon  Pinterest icon