School of Arts and Sciences
Degree Requirements for the
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) and Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
The following requirements apply to all candidates for the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science. The Bachelor of Arts option is available to those who choose plans in Communication, Humanities, Mathematical Sciences, or Psychology. The Bachelor of Science option is available to those who choose plans in Biology, Communication, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Mathematical Sciences or Psychology.
1. Satisfy all university requirements for a bachelor’s degree as found in the “UNIVERSITY DEGREE
REQUIREMENTS” section of this catalog.
2. Satisfy Core Curriculum Requirements for students entering college in Fall 1999 or after. Note: Students who
transfer from a Texas public community college or public university and are certified as core complete shall
have satisfied the core requirements of UHV.
3. Satisfy the requirements for either the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Science, as follows:
a. Bachelor of Arts
(1) Lower or Upper Division: 3 semester hours of speech and satisfy computer literacy/proficiency
requirement (See [**] below); Foreign Language/ Linguistics: 6 semester hours at the sophomore
level in one foreign language. Students submitting an acceptable score on a standard foreign language
proficiency test approved by the School of Arts and Sciences may substitute 6 semester hours of
b. Bachelor of Science
(1) Lower Division: 3 semester hours of speech and satisfy computer literacy/proficiency requirement
(See [**] below); Natural Sciences: 11 semester hours in natural sciences, at least 2 semester hours
of which must be in laboratory courses. Natural sciences include biology, biophysical sciences,
chemistry, geology, and physics.
[**] May be satisfied within core curriculum. However, 3 semester hours of both speech and computer
literacy/proficiency are still required even if the student is certified as core complete by way of
transfer from a Texas public community college or public university.
4. Satisfy course requirements for the plan: At least 24 semester hours in one plan of which at least 18 semester
hours must be advanced.