UHV Quick Links

2013-2014 Catalog

Degree Requirements

Master's Degree

Bachelor's Degree | Master's Degree | Thesis

Planning the Graduate Program
In general the graduate student is expected to be enrolled each semester until completion of the degree program and award of the degree. The graduate student who is not enrolled should not expect the facilities of the university to be available. Such facilities include (but are not limited to) office and classroom space, laboratories, faculty resources and administration of oral or written examination. Exceptions to this requirement may be granted upon petition.

The graduate student should consult the program’s graduate advisor before each registration. The student is required to fulfill the special requirements of that particular degree program in addition to the general requirements stipulated for graduate studies. Additional requirements are listed with the appropriate degree programs in this catalog.

Applicable Graduate Credit
Graduate credit is not granted for courses taken prior to a student’s admission to any regionally accredited graduate school. The ‘Time Limitation’ section specifies additional restrictions.

Second Master’s Degree
With the advisor’s approval, a maximum of 50% of credit required for a master’s degree earned at this institution may be applied to a second master’s degree. Regulations concerning time limitations apply to transfer credit as well as to credit earned at UH-Victoria.

Level of Credit
Effective Fall 2013, undergraduate courses cannot be applied to graduate degree plans.

The graduate student who does not wish to earn graduate credit in a course must first file a Course Credit Petition with the student’s academic school for processing to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records.

A UH-Victoria senior in good academic standing may take a limited number of courses for graduate credit if lacking no more than 12 semester hours for a degree. The student may receive permission to enroll for graduate credit through a Course Credit Petition, which must first be filed with the student’s academic school for processing to the Office of the Registrar and Student Records. Graduate credits earned in this manner may not exceed 12 semester hours and may not be applied to the undergraduate degree.

The Course Credit Petition may be obtained from either the Admissions or Student Records forms list on the website (www.uhv.edu/oar/forms.aspx).

Continuing Graduate Study Beyond the Master’s Level
The student who completes a master’s degree program at this institution will have the degree status changed to that of a non-degree seeking graduate student. If the student wishes to change plans and/or pursue another master’s degree, a Course Credit Petition must be completed. This petition is available on the Admissions web page (www.uhv.edu/oar/forms.aspx) or in the Office of the Registrar and Student Records.

Time Limitation
For graduate programs requiring 36 or fewer credit hours to fulfill the degree requirements, the student must complete the requirements within 5 years after formal admission to the program.

For graduate programs requiring more than 36 credit hours to fulfill the degree requirements, the student must complete the program within 7 years after formal admission.

Course credit, either transfer or from UHV, may not apply to any graduate degree if at graduation the course credit is more than 10 years old.

With the exception of programs for which another termination date has been specified, no degree shall be granted for a graduate program not completed within five years of its deletion from this catalog.

Termination of Enrollment
A satisfactory rate of progress toward the degree is required throughout the student’s enrollment. The dean of the school may terminate a student’s enrollment at any time if the rate of progress is not satisfactory. A student whose enrollment is terminated should be so notified with an explanation in writing by the dean of the student’s plan. A copy of this notice and explanation will be made part of the student’s permanent file.

Graduate Program Semester Hour Requirements
The semester hour requirements for graduate programs may vary. At the discretion of the Dean of the academic program, the student may receive up to 25% credit for graduate work taken at another institution that has recognition in some form from the U.S. Department of Education or the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. If transferring from a UH System institution, the student may receive up to 50% credit at the discretion of the Dean of the academic program.

Application for Candidacy
Students should refer to respective schools for requirements and procedures for candidacy.

Students failing to fulfill school requirements by the appropriate deadline will have their application for graduation disapproved.

Candidacy applications for graduate students are available in the school offices.

Academic Standards for Graduate Students
        1. Graduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) over all graduate
            courses attempted at UH-Victoria, regardless of whether the courses are counted toward degree
        2. No more than two courses with earned C’s may be applied toward graduate degree plan requirements.
        3. Failure to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (B) may result in warning, probation or
        4. Graduate students must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (B) on all courses that appear on
            the student’s degree plan, including transferred courses.
        5. No credit toward a graduate degree is allowed for courses in which grades of D or F are earned,
            although the grades are included in the grade point average.
        6. The thesis grade is not included in the grade point average.
        7. Certain graduate courses, as specified annually by the academic school, may be graded as S
            (satisfactory), U (unsatisfactory) and I (incomplete). Such grades will not be considered in computing a
            grade point average.