UHV Quick Links

2013-2014 Catalog

School of Education & Human Development

Educator Preparation Office (EPO)

Mission: The mission of the Educator Preparation Office is to ensure positive communication to graduate, undergraduate, and post-baccalaureate candidates seeking degrees and certification in an ever changing field.

The Educator Preparation Office in the School of Education and Human Development is a service area for all candidates seeking an education degree and/or teacher/educator certification. The Certification Analysts provide preliminary advising on degree plans as well as teacher/educator certification plans for Graduate, Undergraduate and Post-baccalaureate candidates.

Teacher Certification

Individuals planning to teach in accredited Texas schools must obtain a Texas teaching certificate. UH-Victoria and the School of Education and Human Development offer bachelor’s degree programs which meet the Texas Education Agency certification requirements. Upon completion of the requirements for certain degrees in teacher education, the individual may be eligible to apply for certification. Candidates that hold a degree in a specific content area may be eligible to complete a teacher certification program as a post-baccalaureate.

Since May 1, 1986, in order to be approved for teacher certification or any graduate level certification, applicants, including those holding valid out-of-state certificates, have been required to achieve a satisfactory level of performance on examination prescribed by the State Board of Education. The current test is the Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES).

Teacher Certification Application

This certification process applies to ALL education candidates seeking initial and supplemental certifications from the Texas Education Agency.

Application for graduation and application for certification are different processes. They must be applied for separately and have different requirements.

1. Once all requirements are met, the candidate will apply directly to the Texas Education Agency at www.tea.state.tx.us, Click on State Board for Educator Certification for the instructions and theapplication. Candidates are responsible for updating and maintaining current information on the SBEC/TEA website ( www.tea.state.tx.us ).

2. A fee, payable to the Texas Education Agency, is required for each application.

3. After the candidate applies and pays the fee, the university will then recommend the student to the state for the appropriate certification.

If an out-of-state or out-of-country teaching certificate is held, the candidate should call the Texas Education Agency support center for information at 512-936-8400.