Area employers with high-quality employees who are enrolled at the University of Houston-Victoria are invited to nominate them for a scholarship.
UHV Career Services encourages the recognition of student accomplishments beyond the classroom. For this reason, the office is giving a $500 scholarship to reward a UHV student who has demonstrated good employee qualities.
Career Services helps connect area employers with university students looking for work. The scholarship is being awarded for the second straight year because Career Services wants to recognize the importance of a good work ethic and how work experience contributes to the overall education process.
“The university experience is not just about classes,” Career Services Coordinator Eunice Mesa said. “Getting real-life experience in the workforce is important for students. Many of our students are doing great work at their jobs. This is an opportunity to recognize their achievements.”
A selection committee will review the nominations and pick a recipient.
To nominate a UHV student, a business owner, manager or supervisor must submit a letter describing an employee with at least two of the following traits:
- Self-Motivated: The employee is ready to work beyond the call of duty in order to meet goals or solve problems even if the job is not one of the regular duties he or she usually is assigned.
- Adaptable, Decisive and Effective Learner: An employee should know how to adjust to new environments, be willing to learn new things and perform his or her best in all circumstances.
- Ethical: Work rules are made to be followed. Decorum ought to be kept. A good employee follows the company’s policies and inspires others to do so.
- Positive and Proactive Attitude: A positive attitude does not always mean an employee is happy, but it is better to be upbeat at work rather than brooding and angry. Positive can also mean proactive, which means an employee takes initiative and doesn’t wait for work to come to him or her.
- Disciplined and Punctual: Bosses want a punctual, disciplined and conscientious employee. Time is money. An employee who arrives late to the office, takes unnecessary breaks, procrastinates or leaves early costs the company money.
- Honesty: A good employee is honest about his or her work and qualifications. Self criticism and a willingness to receive feedback are essential to becoming a good learner.
- Team Player: Many companies consist of teams. An employee who contributes to the team effort is an ideal worker.
Employees must have been a UHV student during the 2011-2012 academic year and be enrolled for the upcoming school year.
The deadline for making nominations is 5 p.m. July 27.
Nominations should be mailed to University of Houston-Victoria Career Services – Student Employee Scholarship Committee, 3007 N. Ben Wilson St., Victoria, TX 77901.
Questions about nominations or the scholarship can be directed to Mesa at 361-570-4369 or CareerServices@uhv.edu.