The decision to cancel classes or close the University should be made as soon as possible to ensure communications are made with sufficient notice for commuting students and employees to avoid unnecessary and possibly hazardous travel. Any decision should consider community situations in areas served by the University.
With the exception of essential services, the closing will be final and not left to the discretion of individuals or departments unless special arrangements have been made with the President (or designee).
The decision choices will generally be reduced to one of three events:
Event 1 - Classes and office hours continue as usual. (This event is also operative in the early or evaluation stages of an emergency when no decision has been made.):
- Students, faculty, and staff should use discretion in determining when or if they can safely commute to and from the campus
- Students are not penalized for discretionary absences.
- Student class time, assignments and missed tests are to be made up as arranged between the instructor and students
- Staff and faculty should notify their supervisors or department heads if they will be absent. Staff employees must use vacation and/or compensatory time unless the President authorizes administrative leave
- Faculty who cancel classes at their discretion must attempt to inform students and their divisional secretary of the cancellation. The divisional secretary must keep the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and the Registrar informed of class cancellations (to keep the public updated)
Event 2 - Classes have been canceled and all offices have been closed by site (i.e. UH Sugar Land, UHS @ Cinco Ranch, or UH-Victoria campus only):
- Make up time and assignments may be required at the discretion of the instructor at the affected site
- Employees at affected sites will be allowed administrative leave
- Faculty who continue to teach online must make accommodations for students who may be living in affected areas
Event 3 - All classes have been canceled and all offices have been closed at all sites:
- Make up time and assignments may be required at the discretion of the instructor
- Employees will be allowed administrative leave