School of Business Administration
Faculty/Staff Login
Nav Menu

Admissions & Transfer Guide

Undergraduate Transfer Policies

Transfer students should refer to the following regulations concerning transfer of credits to UH-Victoria. A student in doubt about courses which can be transferred to this university may consult the Office of Admissions and Records. Information as to how specific courses may be applied toward a degree should be obtained from your SBA advisor.

  • The college from which credit is to be transferred must be accredited by one of the six recognized regional accrediting associations. The six associations are Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
  • Courses transfer to UH-Victoria on the same level and with the corresponding number of hours as earned at another institution. Grades are never lowered in transfer.
  • When a course has been repeated for credit, the last grade and credit hours will determine the acceptance for the course.
  • A student who has completed the core curriculum at another Texas public institution will have satisfied the core curriculum requirements for UHV.
  • Students who have not completed the core at another Texas public institution are subject to the following guideline. Courses taken at other colleges that do not correspond to courses listed in the Common Course Numbering System section in this catalog or to courses offered by this university may transfer as elective credit and may apply to specific degree requirements with appropriate academic approval.
  • The following courses are not accepted by the university in transfer.
    A) Vocational courses except those required for university degree programs.
    B) Orientation, remedial English, remedial reading courses; high school level mathematics or intermediate algebra courses; bookkeeping courses.
    C) General Education Development Tests on high school or college level.
  • Courses in technology will be considered for transfer credit on an individual basis, depending on the student’s major and the type of course to be transferred.
  • Credit may be granted for courses taken at military service training schools when such training is considered to be at the baccalaureate level or higher and consistent with the student’s educational objective. Transfer credit will be based on recommendations made in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.
  • A maximum of 12 semester hours in religion is accepted toward a degree.
  • To earn a bachelor’s degree at UH-Victoria, 30 of the last 36 upper division hours must be completed with UH-Victoria.
  • The Dean of SBA, with the advice and consent of the president or his/her designate, will make the decision concerning the application of transfer credit to the degree program.
  • Courses taken at a junior college cannot transfer as upper division (junior and senior) credits.
  • There is no limit to the number of credits transferable from a junior college, but in addition to these credits a student must earn a minimum of 54 semester hours of upper division work toward a bachelor’s degree.
  • UH-Victoria does not offer correspondence courses; however, such credit may be accepted in transfer when taken from an accredited college or university. A student may apply a maximum of 18 semester hours of correspondence credit toward a bachelor’s degree. Only 6 semester hours in the major may be correspondence credit.
  • Credit for advanced placement earned at another institution may be transferred provided the institution is an accredited college or university, the credit is of college level and the credit is shown on the school’s official transcript.
  • The Dean of SBA, with the advice and consent of the president or his/her designate, will make the decision concerning the application of advanced placement credit to the degree program.
  • If the application for admission indicates that the student plans to earn a degree at UH-Victoria, college credit earned at another accredited institution will be evaluated in accordance with the transfer of credit regulations in effect at the time of enrollment.
  • The evaluation of transfer work is usually made after enrollment and after the complete transfer record is on file. Copies of the evaluation will be mailed to the student and SBA.
  • The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board has established procedures to be followed by Texas public colleges and universities in resolving transfer of credit disputes involving lower division courses. Courses covered by this procedure are defined by the Coordinating Board’s guide, “Transfer of Credit Policies and Curricula’’.
  • If a transfer course covered by the Coordinating Board policies is not accepted, the student may initiate an appeal. A “UH-Victoria Appeal Form” must be completed and submitted to UH-Victoria Office of Admissions and Records within 15 calendar days after the evaluation of transfer work has been sent to the student. (Forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Records or at
  • The two institutions and the student shall attempt to resolve the transfer of the course credit in accordance with the Coordinating Board rules and/or guidelines.
  • If the transfer dispute is not resolved to the satisfaction of the student or the institution at which the credit was earned, then UH-Victoria will state its reason for course denial to the Commissioner of Higher Education within 45 days after the date the student received written notice of the denial.
  • The commissioner or a designee will then provide a final written decision about the transfer of course credit to UH-Victoria, the student and the other institution.
  • Thirty of your last thirty-six semester hours of advanced course work must be completed at UHV. These residence hours are not to include correspondence work.
  • Maximum correspondence credit applicable to the degree is 18 semester hours, with no more than six applicable toward the major.
  • A minimum of six semester hours of advanced work in the major field must be completed in residence at UHV.
  • Students requesting transfer of course work beyond credit granted on a drafted degree plan must submit a written request along with transcripts, university course catalog descriptions, and other information (for example, syllabus and book list) to his or her assigned SBA advisor for review as to adequacy and currency.