Assistant Professor & 2012 Partnership Professor of Economic Development
University West 287 (Victoria)
Dr. John Kagochi earned a PhD in Applied Economics from Auburn University, Alabama. His primary teaching interests are economic development and business statistics. His research interests are diverse and include international trade and competitiveness, regional economic development, and the role domestic institutions on economic growth.
Prior to joining the UHV faculty, Dr. Kagochi worked as an economic development specialist in Africa. He continues to work as a consultant supporting economic development efforts. In 2004, Dr. Kagochi lent his expertise to a project designed to integrate small and minority producers of goat meat into a larger, active market. More recently, in 2008 he completed a report to the National Wildlife Federation on the economic benefits of planting longleaf pines to restore depleted forests in the Southeastern U.S.
Dr. Kagochi has published articles in several academic journals including Energy Economics, International Journal of Applied Economics, International Journal of Trade and Global Markets,International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis,, International Journal of Consumer Studies, andJournal of African Finance and Economic Development. He is the past production editor of The Southern Business & Economic Journal.
In addition to serving as a discussant and reviewer for professional conferences, Dr. Kagochi has worked closely with the Community Food Bank of Victoria to develop a five-year strategic plan.
As the coordinator of student capstone projects for the Master of Science in Economic Development and Entrepreneurship, Dr. Kagochi continues to be active in promoting the economic well-being of the communities in which his students live and work.
He is a member of the Southern Economics Association and Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society.
- PhD - Auburn University, Applied Economics, 2007
- MS - Auburn University, Economics, 2004
- MSc - Tuskegee University, Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2000
- BSc - Egerton University, Agricultural Economics, 1993
Courses Taught at UHV
- BUSI 3303 - Business Statistics
- EDEN 6350 - Introduction to Economic Development and Entrepreneurship
- EDEN 6355 - Economic Development and Entrepreneurial Finance
- EDEN 6356 - Methods in Economic Development
- EDEN 6357 - The Practice of Local Economic Development
- EDEN 6358 - Theory and Practice of Regional Economic Development
- EDEN 6359 - Economic Development and Entrepreneurship Project
- Kagochi, John, Malki, Mostafa, Summers, David, (2015). The Economic Contributions of Higher Institutions of learning to Regional Communities: The case of University of Houston-Victoria Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies
- Metghalchi, Massoud, Kagochi, John, Hayes, Linda, (2014). Contrarian Technical Trading Rules: Evidence From Nairobi Stock Index Journal Of Applied Business Research
- Kagochi, John, Durmaz, Nazif, (2014). Transfer students from two-year institutions to four-year institutions at the course-level International Journal of Education Economics and Development
- Kagochi, John, Chen, Chien-Ping, (2013). Are Remittances to Sub-Saharan Africa altruistic or for self-interest? Evidence from Kenya International Journal of Economics and Finance
- Kagochi, John M. Al Nasser, Omar M. Kebede, Ellene, (2013). Does Financial Development hold the key to Economic Growth? The Case of Sub-Saharan Africa Journal Of Developing Areas
- Kagochi, John M (2013). Financial Development and Economic Growth in Kenya: an Expanded Neoclassical Growth Approach Asian-African Journal of Economics and Econometrics
- Kagochi, John, Kiambigi, Maina, (2012). Remittances' Influence on Housing Construction Demand in Sub-Saharan Africa: The Case of Kenya African Development Review/ Revue Africaine de Developpement
- Kagochi, John M Kebede, Ellene, Summers, David, (2010). Are Remittances a Source of Development Capital? The case of Sub Saharan Africa International Research Journal of Finance and Economics
- Kebede, Ellene, Kagochi, John M Jolly, Curtis M (2010). Energy Consumption and Economic Development in Sub-Sahara Africa Energy Economics
- Kagochi, John M Jolly, Curtis M (2010). R&D Investments, Human Capital, and the Competitiveness of Selected U.S. Agricultural Exports Commodities International Journal of Applied Economics
- Kagochi, John, Jolly, Curtis M (2010). Using the Elasticities from the AIDS Model to Evaluate International Market Competitiveness: the case of thee Egyptian Wheat Market International Journal of Trade and Global Markets
- Awuah, R T Fialor, S C Binns, A D Kagochi, J M Jolly, C M (2009). Factors Influencing Market Participants Decision to Sort Groundnuts along the Marketing Chain in Ghana Peanut Science
- Kagochi, John, Mace, Lesley M (2009). Migration and Demand for New Housing in Alabama MSAs International Journal of Accounting Information Science & Leadership
- Kagochi, John M Mace, Lesley M (2009). The Determinants of Demand for Single Family Housing in Alabama Urbanized Areas International Journal of Housing Markets and Analysis
- Jolly, Curtis M. Awuah, Richard T Fialor, Simon C Agyemang, Kwasi O Kagochi, John M (2008). Groundnut consumption frequency in Ghana International Journal of Consumer Studies
- Kagochi, John M (2008). Leadership Style Influence on Economic Growth in Nigeria. Journal of Economics Theory
- Kagochi, John, Tackie, Nii O Thompson, Henry, (2007). An Analysis of the Impacts of Freedoms on Economic Growth Journal of African Finance and Economic Development
Honors and Achievements
- 2012: Received partnership professorship award for outstanding performance in teaching, research, and/or service in 2012 that is awarded by the School of Business Administration, UHV. - UHV School of Business Administration