Omar Al Nasser
Assistant Professor of Finance
Brazos Hall 333 (Sugar Land)
Dr. Omar Al Nasser earned a PhD in Finance from the University of Texas-Pan American in 2009. He also holds an MBA degree from the University of Houston-Victoria and a bachelor's from Yarmouk University in Jordan in Accounting and Finance. He joined the University of Houston-Victoria School of Business faculty in 2008.
Dr. Al Nasser has experience teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in finance. He has taught Financial Management, Financial Institutions and Markets, Business Finance, Capital Markets, International Finance, Cases in Finance, and Real Estate Finance.
Dr. Al Nasser's research interests are focus on international finance, financial economics, financial markets & institutions, and international trade. The main emphasis on his current research is focused on how a bank-based or market-based financial system affects economic growth in emerging markets.
Dr. Al Nasser's written publications appear in the Latin American Business, International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, and Global Economic Review. Additionally, he has presented numerous papers at various seminars and conferences including the Financial Management Association, Academy of Economics and Finance, Southwestern Finance Association, and the Academy of International Business.
Dr. Al Nasser is a current member of several professional organizations including the Financial Management Association, the American Finance Association, the Academy of Economics and Finance, the Southwestern Finance Association, and the Academy of International Business. Dr. Al Nasser has also served as a reviewer for the Journal of Economics and Finance, and the Business Research Yearbook Published by the International Academy of Business Disciplines.
In addition to teaching and researching, Dr. Al Nasser enjoys cooking, swimming, and spending time with his family and friends.
- Ph.D. - University of Texas-Pan American, Business Administration with Emphasis in Finance, 2009
- MBA - University of Houston-Victoria, 2004
- B.B.A. - Yarmouk University, Accounting/Finance, 2001
Courses Taught at UHV
- FINC 3304 - Business Finance
- FINC 3321 - Capital Markets
- FINC 4325 - International Finance
- FINC 4352 - Intermediate Financial Management
- FINC 4354 - Risk Management
- FINC 4355 - Real Estate Finance
- FINC 4369 - Cases in Finance
- FINC 6352 - Financial Management
- FINC 6362 - Financial Institutions & Markets
- QMSC 6351 - Statistics and Research Methods
- Hajilee, Massomeh, Al-Nasser, Omar, (2015). Banking Sector Development and Interest Rate Volatility in Emerging Economies Applied Economics
- Al Nasser, Omar M. (2015). Stock Markets, Banks, and Economic Growth: Evidence from Latin American Countries International Journal of Economics and Finance
- Hajilee, Massomeh, Al Nasser, Omar M. (2015). The Relationship between Financial Market Development and Foreign Direct Investment in Latin American Countries Journal Of Developing Areas
- Hajilee, Massomeh, Al Nasser, Omar, (2014). Exchange Rate Volatility and the Stock Market Development in Emerging Economies Journal of Post Keynesian Economics
- Niroomand, Farhang, Hajilee, Massomeh, Al Nasser, Omar, (2014). Financial Market Development and Trade Openness: Evidence from Emerging Economies Applied Economics
- Kagochi, John M. Al Nasser, Omar M. Kebede, Ellene, (2013). Does Financial Development hold the key to Economic Growth? The Case of Sub-Saharan Africa Journal Of Developing Areas
- Mathur, Ike, Wiggins, Chip, Al Nasser, Omar, (2012). The Performance Implications of Hostile Takeovers of US Financial Services Firms Journal of Financial and Economic Practice
- Al Nasser, Omar M. Soydemir, Gökçe, (2011). Domestic and International Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America Journal Of Emerging Markets
- Al Nasser, Omar, (2010). How does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth? The Role of Local Conditions. Latin American Business Review
- Al Nasser, Omar, Garza-Gómez, Xavier, (2009). Do Well Functioning Financial System Affect the FDI Inflows into Latin America? International Research Journal of Finance and Economics
- Al Nasser, Omar, Mendonça, M., Sachsida, A., (2009). The openness-inflation puzzle: Panel data evidence. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics
- Al Nasser, Omar, (2007). The Determinants of the U.S. Foreign Direct Investment: Does the Region Matter? Global Economic Review