Under certain circumstances, international applicants to business
programs may request a waiver for the
TOEFL when applying for admission. The School of Business
Administration will consider, on a case-by-case basis,
TOEFL waiver requests from applicants who fall into one of the
- The applicant has completed at least three years full-time study at
a recognized secondary school, college or university whose primary
language of instruction is English; OR
- The applicant has completed a bachelors degree or higher in an
accredited US college or university; OR
- The applicant has a current IELTS band score (less than 5 years old)
of 6.5; OR
- The applicant has completed nine semester hours of lower division
English in an accredited US college or university, three of which must
be in composition and three in literature; OR
- The applicant has completed the highest level of intensive English
study and is recommended for academic study by an English Language
Institute recognized by the University of Houston-Victoria.
A TOEFL waiver
is not automatic for any applicant. To request a
TOEFL waiver, the applicant must submit the following materials to
the School of Business Administration:
- A brief written request outlining the reasons why the SBA should
grant a TOEFL
waiver (including career goals and objectives) and indicating which of
the above waiver categories applies.
- Copies of all academic transcripts for work completed at any college
or university attended (if copies have not already been provided to the
Office of Admissions).
- Any other information the applicant wishes to submit (e.g., letter
from supervisor explaining the applicant's job duties, performance, and
potential, or letters of recommendation).
For questions about this policy, please
contact your SBA advisor.