Exercise 1: Choosing the Correct Preposition
Directions: Circle the correct preposition for each sentence.
1. Jerry found a candy bar at/behind the couch.
2. I like to eat breakfast in/on the morning.
3. I’ll be moving into/ at the first of next month.
4. Grandmother wants the picture to hang above/through the fireplace.
5. The dog will eat anything except/at eggs.
6. Stephanie’s favorite animal at/during the zoo was the monkey.
7. They will leave for Hawaii within/through an hour.
8. He has owned that truck since/in 1950.
9. Cyndi loves to/at play softball during/with the spring.
10. Be careful when you go down/like the slide.
11. Will you reach behind/at the refrigerator to see if the keys are there?
12. The game was cancelled because of/to the rain.
13. Rehearsal for/to the play will be inside/on Saturday.
14. Everyone is going to Johnny’s house after/between the game.
15. She had to go the bathroom during/for the movie.
16. He can be very rude but at/near the same time, I can’t help liking him.
17. In/at the future, we would like to add a pool to/with the backyard.
18. The ball rolled for/toward the baseball field.
19. The movie store is located across/at the street.
20. Because of the rain, we had to move the party through/inside the clubhouse.
21. We will travel to/up Atlanta with/by train.
22. The toy fell under/around the couch.
23. Leigh Ann and Johnny will leave from/at Houston at/of 2:00 a.m.
24. The rabbit ate the carrots from/upon the garden.
25. I suppose this work will be done by/to August
Check your answers here. (A new window will open; close the window to return to this exercise.)
Meet the Franchisor Forum - 12/10/2013
Customer Service - 12/12/2013
Quickbooks - 12/13/2013
ACS - Relay for Life - Team Captain Meetings - 1/14/2014
SABP Stakeholders Meeting - 1/16/2014
Outstanding business school graduates look to future - 12/05/2013