The Student Success Center has staff available to review student papers, university documents, resumes, and other written work. During writing consultations, individuals may discuss a paper that is in progress. Tutors will offer a critical response to a draft, ask questions about your intentions and purposes for the paper, and make suggestions for revision. The consultants will help you look at your paper critically and give you feedback and constructive suggestions. They will not make alterations to your paper without your permission. You will then be able to analyze your writing and make appropriate choices.
For face-to-face and virtual consultations, please strive to make your appointments at least 24 hours in advance. While we will work with papers due the same day as a session, this may hinder your ability to make changes. We schedule 30-minute and 1-hour appointments throughout the day. If you plan in advance and schedule appointments as soon as you know due dates, you will find many available appointment times.
To allow everyone a chance to get in and to allow you a chance to adequately review and revise your paper before you bring it in again, you can schedule 1 appointment per day (including online tutoring sessions). However, you are not limited to a certain number of tutorials during the semester.
Writing Center Hours
|Monday:||Vicki: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Joseberto: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
|Tuesday:||Vicki: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm|
|Wednesday:||Vicki: 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Joseberto: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
|Thursday:||Vicki: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm|
|Thursday:||Joseberto: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm|
How do you sign up for an appointment?
To sign up for an appointment, you must first register in WCOnline, our appointment system. You will register only one time during the semester, so you’ll just need to remember the email and password you used when you sign up.
- Registration is easy. Just go to http://uhv.mywconline.com/ and choose “Click here” to register.
- Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to log into the system using your email address and password. You can choose the schedule for the location where you want to be tutored (Victoria, Sugar Land, or Cinco Ranch).
- To sign up for an appointment, look through the schedule and choose an open time (open time slot boxes will be white) by clicking on the box. Fill in the form that pops up on your screen. After you save the form (“Save Reservation”), the time period you wanted to sign up for should be colored yellow, which indicates that it’s your reservation.
You should always make an appointment to make sure a tutor is available.
To send a paper for online tutoring, you must first register in WCOnline, our appointment system. You will register only one time during the semester, although you’ll return to WCOnline each time you want to send a document for tutoring. When registering, you must use your UHV student email address.
- Registration is easy. Just go to http://uhv.mywconline.com/ and choose “Click here” to register. Once you’ve registered, you’ll be able to log into the system using your email address and password.
- To submit a paper for online tutoring, choose a “Writing Tutoring” schedule (any location).
- Then, select Click here! where prompted in the question "Looking for Online Tutoring? Click here."
- A form will appear in a pop up. Complete the fields in the form and attach your document at the end. (Microsoft Word 95 or above is the preferred program for tutoring; however, you also may submit your documents in Microsoft Works.)
- Finally, click “Send e-Tutoring Request.” You will receive a confirmation notice within one business day of the receipt of your email. Also, we'd like to encourage you to add email@example.com to your address book or friends list to ensure that automatic reply messages and tutor responses are not inadvertently sent to a bulk mail or spam folder.
Please note that you cannot send a document to us from within Blackboard.
Response Time: For documents under ten pages (most undergraduate documents), tutors will respond within two or three business days early in the semester (Jan./Feb., Aug./Sept.) and between four or five business days later in the semester (March/April/May, Oct./Nov./Dec.).
For additional information about online writing tutoring, please visit our page on Online Tutoring.