To be considered for employment, applicants for peer writing tutor positions must:
- Submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (can be from ENG 3430 but should be research paper) to the Student Success Center Manager.
- Print out Instructor Referral Forms. Ask two instructors to fill them out. Submit them to the Student Success Center Manager. Instructor Referral Forms are available in PDF format on this website and in the Student Success Center (Suite 129, University West).
- Fill out a UHV Application for Employment and send one to the Student Success Center Manager.
Send all application materials to the Student Success Center Manager at University of Houston-Victoria, ATTN: Student Success Center Manager, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas, 77901, or deliver to University West, Suite 129.
Student Success Center writing tutors are peers who
- have successfully completed COM 3430 or ENG 3430, the Professional Writing course (with an A or B); or have demonstrated exceptional writing ability, or have earned a bachelor’s degree;
- maintain a high GPA;
- possess good written and oral communication skills; and
- are enrolled at UHV.
Basic computer familiarity is also required. Please note that writing tutors do not have to be English majors.
Responsibilities of Peer Tutors:
Your main responsibility as a peer tutor is to assist students. To work as a peer tutor you must fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Participate actively in all tutor training sessions
- Arrive on time for all scheduled shifts in the Student Success Center
- Conduct both face-to-face and on line tutoring sessions
- Maintain professionalism at all times
- Maintain Student Success Center database of student tutorials
- Enhance professional development by participating in Student Success Center activities
- Communicate with fellow tutors, the Student Success Center Manager, and Coordinator to ensure that the Center functions effectively and students receive the best possible tutoring assistance.