To be considered for employment, applicants for subject-area tutor positions should.
- Send a cover letter and resume.
- Send application materials to the Student Success Center Manager at University of Houston-Victoria, ATTN: Student Success Center Manager, 3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas, 77901, or deliver to Suite 129 of the University West building.
To be employed as a subject area tutor in the Student Success Center, you must have a very good knowledge of the content of the courses for which you will be tutoring, and you must be recommended in writing by two faculty members, at least one of whom must be in that department.
As a tutor, your primary function is to lead students to an understanding of the principles behind the content of the course, to help them develop strategies for learning it, and finally to guide them in putting the principles into practice. Your job duties will be assigned by the Student Success Center Manager in cooperation with instructors. Your supervisor will be the Student Success Center Manager.
Student Success Center tutors may not grade assignments, teach classes, tutor exams or finals, or perform any other duties beyond those deemed appropriate by the Student Success Center.
- Student Success Center subject area tutors are students who are recognized as very knowledgeable about a subject area;
- maintain a high GPA;
- possess good written and oral communication skills; and
- are enrolled at UHV.
Basic computer familiarity is also required.
Responsibilities of Subject Area Tutors in the Student Success Center:
Your main responsibility as a peer tutor is to assist students. To work as a peer tutor you must fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Participate as required in tutor training sessions
- Arrive on time for all scheduled shifts for the Student Success Center
- Conduct face-to-face and/or online tutoring sessions
- Inform Student Success Center Manager or Coordinator if you cannot make your scheduled appointments
- Maintain professionalism at all times
- Maintain Student Success Center records of student tutorials
- Enhance professional development by participating in Student Success Center activities
- Communicate with fellow tutors, the Student Success Center Manager, and Coordinator to ensure that the Center functions effectively and students receive the best possible tutoring assistance.