University Of Houston-Victoria
President's Advisory Board :: Bylaws
Article I — Organization and Purposes
The University of Houston-Victoria President's Regional Advisory Board (PRAB) serves as the principal external advisory body to the University of Houston-Victoria. Its mission is to strengthen and advance the university and its programs and to provide counsel for its strategic direction.
To accomplish this mission, the Board and its members will:
- Bring an external perspective that assists university officials in strategic planning.
- Advise the president on matters of interest to community stakeholders.
- Provide responses to ideas/initiatives.
- Act as liaisons between the university and its constituencies to raise the awareness of UH-V in the region.
- Support development efforts of the university and develop resources that enhance the university's priorities.
The general purpose of the Advisory Board is to assist the President and the Board of Regents of the University of Houston System in responding most effectively to the educational needs of the region. The Board will provide valuable insights, information, and advice, which will enable the University to become more sensitive to the changing needs of the communities represented on the Board and to react promptly to recommendations that develop from the consistent, periodic reviews of local programs and operations.
Article II — Membership and Meetings
The President's Regional Advisory Board is hereby organized as a voluntary, non-profit association of interested citizens. The group will be representative of the diversity of our region. The PRAB also will include as ex-officio non-voting members the Presidents of Coastal Bend College, The Victoria College, and Wharton County Junior College.
The President's Regional Advisory Board of the University of Houston-Victoria shall consist of no more than twenty (20) voting members of the Board, who shall be elected by the Board membership. There will be a nominating committee. This committee will be composed of two (2) to four (4) members. This committee will prepare the slate of officers and recommend Board membership at the annual meeting. Each Board member shall serve for a three (3) year term and may be re-elected for additional terms.
The person holding the office of President of UH-Victoria shall be an ex-officio non-voting member of the Board.
Current and former members of the University of Houston System Board of Regents residing in UH-Victoria's service area shall be invited to serve as non-voting Members Emeriti for the period of time determined by the Board and based on the recommendation of the President.
- Four meetings will be scheduled each year. The summer meeting will serve as the annual meeting. The Chair of the Board may cancel, re-schedule, or call additional meetings as necessary.
- The President, with the advice of the Regional Advisory Board, will announce the specific dates and places for the meetings. The election of Board officers and members will take place at the annual meeting.
- Special meetings of the Board may be called at any time by request of a majority of the officers of the Board.
- A majority of the voting members present at a meeting of the Board shall constitute a quorum at any meeting.
- The meetings will be chaired by the elected Chair or, when necessary, the Vice Chair of the Board.
- Minutes of the meetings will be prepared by a UH-Victoria staff member from the President's Office and will be distributed to each member of the Board.
- The President, in consultation with the Chair of the Board, will prepare and mail an agenda in advance of each meeting.
Article III — Committees
The members of the Board shall be prepared to serve in committees to achieve specific achievable objectives as determined by the membership. The members of each committee shall be recommended by the President with one member of each committee to be designated as Chair thereof.
Article IV — Officers
The Board shall elect a chair and vice chair from the board memberships at the annual meeting.
The Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Board and shall be responsible for supervising all the work of the Committees of the Board. The Vice Chair shall assist the Chair and shall serve in his/her absence.
Article V — Amendments
These bylaws may be altered, amended, or repealed by the majority vote of the members of the Board at any annual meeting, or at any special meetings of the Board if notice of the proposed action is contained in the notice of said special meeting.