University Of Houston-Victoria
9:30 A.M., November 9, 2011
Presidents Conference Room
Members Present: Akins, Beran, Bergstrom, Castille, Dahlstrom, Di Leo, Ferguson, Mundy, Nelson, Niroomand, Norgard, Prince, Rice, D. Smith, L. Smith, Tart, and Walyuchow
Marketing Representative: Cobler
I. Organizational Business
--Dean Tart movedand Dr. D. Smith seconded to approve the minutes of September 28, 2011 with the rewording of the sentences below for clarification purposes.
He said that Chancellor Khator will be taking to the November Board of Regents meeting a proposal for the University of Houston System at Sugar Land to be reconstituted as a UH center. New programs from UH will come in, but UHVs programs will continue to serve students too.
A. Reaffirmation 2014–Dr. Jill Fox
The Institutional Leadership Team members had their first meeting and members are as follows: Phil Castille, Chair; Don Smith, Wayne Beran, Chari Norgard, Uppinder Mehan, Larry Rossow and Jill Fox. Dr. Fox presented a PowerPoint presentation on Reaffirmation 2014.
- The SACSCOC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges) is the regional body for accreditation of degree granting higher education institutions in the Southern states.
- SACS has changed a lot since their last visit to UHV in 2003. Before it was professor centered instruction and is now learn centered instruction.
- The reason we need this accreditation
- Federal government requires it; otherwise no funding
- UHS Board of Regents requires it
- The Coordinating Board requires data that parallels SACS data
- Grant applications require it
- Marketing relies on it
- Reaffirmation preparation will consist of three teams
- Institutional Leadership Team
- Institutional Effectiveness Steering committee (workhorse team)
- QEP (Quality Enhancement Plan) Development Team
- The three goals
- National competitiveness
- Student Success
- Community outreach and engagement
- Major tasks
- Completion of the Compliance Certificate (about 500 pages)
- To develop the QEP
- The importance of institutional support
The development of a QEP that successfully addresses the quality of student learning requires significant commitment from the institutional community.
B. Presidents Annual Report–Paula Cobler
Ms. Cobler announced that UHVs annual report theme this year is Jaguar Journey and shared a sample of the video presentation that will be shown at the awards ceremony on November 10th.
C. Dr. Phil Castille
1. Evolving Role with UHV at Sugar Land
Dr. Castille said he attended the discussion meeting with John Antel and Marshall Schott at the Sugar Land campus on the evolving role of that campus. The message shared with the Sugar Land colleagues was the same message UHV heard. Sugar Land will now work as a University of Houston teaching center. There will be a three-year pause in introducing new programs for UHV while UH establishes programs there. UHVs current programs at Sugar Land will not be affected by the change. The Board of Regents (BOR) will approve the change of the UHSSL campus at its November meeting.
2. Master Planning Committee
Dr. Castille provided a brief overview of the first meeting of the 2015 Master Planning Committee. The leadership meeting was well attended with representatives from the state, county, community leaders, faculty and staff. A roundtable discussion provided very positive feedback. A second meeting will review the feedback, address concerns and answer further questions.
D. Academic Affairs Update–Dr. Don Smith
Dr. Smith said the BA in Finance and the MSN in Family Practice was approved at the Provost Council and will now need to be approved by the Board of Regents.
E. Finance & Student Housing–Wayne Beran
Mr. Beran said there are weekly architect/construction meetings concerning Jaguar Suites and as they get to the design stage, others will be invited to attend the meetings.
F. Enrollment Updates–Chari Norgard
Due to time constraints, Ms. Norgard opted to wave her presentation.
G. Cabinet Retreat Date–Dr. Margaret Rice
Dr. Rice announced a retreat date needs to be established for the January event at the Spirit Inn and asked everyone to check his or her calendars for the dates of January 9, 10, or 11, 2012 and provide feedback.
H. Email Distribution List–Dr. Keith Akins
Dr. Akins said due to time constraints he would pass on his topic and discuss it at the next Cabinet meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at: 11:15 a.m.
Submitted by: Kathy Walton