9:30 a.m., Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Members Present:Present: Beran, Dahlstrom, Di Leo, Ferguson, Devick Fry, M. Harrison, LaBrecque, Mundy, Niroomand, Norgard, Ruschhaupt, Rice, Rossow, D. Smith, L. Smith, Tart, Zafereo, Walyuchow
Guests: Val Walden and Debbie Jozwiak
I. Organizational Business
--The August 25th minutes were approved as written.
Change in SAM 03.A.02 Entertainment Expenditures–Val Walden and Debbie Jozwiak
Ms. Walden reviewed the System Administrative Memorandum (SAM) 03.A.02 policy change that became effective as of September 1, 2010.
3.11. Designated tuition funds may not be used for any entertainment expenses, except for events that primarily involve students (e.g., commencement, student recruitment, student job fairs, etc.) and for prospective employee business meals.
This policy now places restrictions on the use of designated tuition funds and expenses. These expenses must now be paid with other funds, such as discretionary funds, rather than designated tuition money. Ms. Walden announced that staff have had training to address these changes and the Finance web site has been updated to assist with questions. Ms. Walden and Ms. Jozwiak shared handouts that listed UHV account codes that noted whether the use of state appropriated funds or designated tuition funds were permissible.
When asked if there is a formula to figure how discretionary funds distribution is figured, Mr. Beran indicated only on the academic side. Discretionary funds are income from investments.
Academic Efforts Underway–Dr. Suzanne LaBrecque
Dr. LaBrecque presented an Academic Affairs update:
- UHV achieved it largest enrollment, exceeding 4,000 students;
- Sixteen new faculty members joined UHV this fall;
- 2010 research awards increased $717,593 from 2009 to $2,859,075 with significant increased funding from state agencies;
- UHV is establishing a new competitive research fund for pilot projects that will lead to external grant proposal. Funding will range from $4,000 to $6,000 with the RFP due January 2011;
- Over the summer the deans had 3 day-long retreats to revise the Faculty Manual; it is currently being formatted for review by the deans and Faculty Manual Committee;
- UHV has purchased a new format so that Student Evaluations of Instruction will move from Blackboard and results will be sent to faculty members after semester grades have been submitted. This new format will give faculty feedback so they can engage in continuous improvement. Deans and faculty will work together to customize part of it for specific academic programs;
- In response to the SACS Fifth-Year Interim Report, assessment workshops are being set up for every academic area; and
- UHV is helping sponsor a nonpartisan health care symposium on September 27th, at 5:00 p.m., in the Alcorn Auditorium, where Anne Dunkelberg, Associate Director of the Center for Public Policy Priorities, will present information concerning the recent Health Care Reform bill and how it affects Texans.
Jaguar Hall Update–Wayne Beran
Mr. Beran said Joe Treemont, UH Assistant Fire Marshal, will be at Jaguar Hall today for an on-site inspection. One item being addressed is the lack of pressure for the fire sprinklers. The kitchen area is not complete, still a few minor leaks, dorms furniture is all in, the floors are being waxed and sealed, American Campus Community will have a crew cleaning the rooms, and the move-in date is still unknown until the fire marshal report has been received.
Legislative Appropriation Requests
Mr. Beran, Dr. Smith and Mr. Zafereo will travel to Austin Thursday where Dr. Smith will present to the Legislative Budget Board and Governor's Office staff, at the Legislative Appropriations Hearings.
Accommodation of Students–Chari Norgard
Ms. Norgard announced we have freshmen on campus. There are 6 hotels serving as lodging facilities for 176 freshmen students and 6 resident assistants. She reported the check-in this past weekend was great; there were only a couple of parents upset but after talking to them were okay. There were 13 students that did not show up this past weekend and Ms. Norgard said a follow-up contact will be made with these students. A tour bus company out of San Antonio is being used as a shuttle bus for the students. The bus missed one of the hotels on the first day of class which caused a little confusion and stress for the students. Ms. Norgard reported she will have to let the hotels know if we need to continue the booking of the rooms for the students this week. If so, due to prior reservations some of the students will have to be moved. Some hotels gave UHV a discount rate for housing the students. Each student received a $100 gift card to pay for meals. It currently is costing $13,000 a day to house and shuttle the students.
Development Report–Mark Zafereo
For fiscal year 2010, development raised $966,000 in gifts and pledges. The prior year total was $769,000, with a goal of $600,000. The University Advancement office is in the progress of getting out the annual fundraising letters. The faculty/staff One for All - All for One campaign for fiscal year 2011 has started. Everyone has a copy of the campaign form, so please fill it out and send to Robin Cadle. Mr. Zafereo said donations back to the university are critically important to the fundraising campaign.
Dr. Dahlstrom reminded everyone of the Library Open House on Thursday, September 9th, 10 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and requested everyone to encourage faculty, staff and students to attend. He also reported there are water leaks in the library.
Ms. L. Smith reminded cabinet members that Corporate Cup kicks off this weekend.
Ms. Norgard announced a part-time job fair this afternoon in the Multi-Purpose room for students. She said there are quite a few freshmen looking for jobs on-campus. If you have a student assistant job opening, please contact Eunice Mesa.
Dean Di Leo shared a handout on the next ABR Reading Series scheduled for September 23rd, with guest speaker Diana López, a new UHV faculty member, and announced a reception for Lopez with mothers and daughters at Trinity Episcopal School.
Mr. Harrison announced the next Staff Council meeting will be September 16th, at 2:00 p.m.
Mr. Walyuchow announced the soccer game scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed due to the weather.
Dr. Smith reminded everyone of the Freshmen Welcome, hosted by the city, on September 9th.
Dr. Rice announced there is a Presidents Regional Advisory Board (PRAB) meeting on September 14th, followed by a reception for PRAB, cabinet and faculty members in the Multi-Purpose Room.
Meeting was adjourned at 10:20 a.m.
Submitted: Kathy Walton
Trick-o-Treat UHV - 10/30/2014
Student Organization Fair - 10/30/2014
Campus Rosary Group - 10/30/2014
Spook Night - 10/30/2014
Victoria Chamber of Commerce "Texas Good Roads" - 10/31/2014