Office of Admissions

Exchange Visitors
J-1/J-2 Insurance Requirements

 Health Insurance Requirement for All J1 / J2 Participants

All exchange visitors, both J1 principals and J2 dependents, are required to have sickness and accident insurance and medical evacuation and repatriation insurance in effect for the duration of their exchange visitor status.  Willful failure to carry insurance or misrepresentation of proper insurance coverage is considered to be a violation of the Exchange Visitor Program regulations and the visitor will be subject to termination of J1 status. 

The exchange visitor must either show proof of coverage in an acceptable health insurance plan meeting the following ratings:

  1. the policy must be underwritten by an insurance corporation having an AM Best rating of "A-" or above, an ISI rating of "A-1" or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above, or such other rating as the Department of State may specify, or
  2. backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country; or
  3. Part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
  4. Offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Minimum Coverage Requirements:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000; and
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

Proof of acceptable insurance coverage must be presented during the Orientation Check-In interview, or the student will be required to pay for coverage through the UHV-sponsored health insurance plan in effect at the time of interview.  This information will be included in the J1 packet sent to students prior to entry to the United States or prior to transfer to UHV from another sponsor's program.