Office of Admissions
International Student Services

Passport and Visa


University of Houston-Victoria is certified
by the U. S. Department of Homeland Security
to admit International Students. 
See for steps to help you get started. 

Before leaving the home country, the applicant must obtain a passport from the home government and a visa from the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If accepted by the University, the student will be sent a letter of acceptance for admission and the appropriate form (I-20) by which a student visa for entry into the United States may be obtained. After receiving the I-20 form, you will need to pay a SEVIS fee for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System as part of the visa application process. The consulate office in your home country will have access to SEVIS to see your records and verify that you have been approved for admission at UHV. After arrival in the United States, you must contact the International Student Admissions staff in the Office of Admissions and Records to complete the admission process. Check-in for new students is mandatory. You will receive information regarding orientation when your application for admission is approved. Students can enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 report date.


Students who are in the United States on any visa allowing full-time or part-time study must provide documentation to verify current status. A copy of the student’s passport and visa with non-expired dates must be submitted at the time of application to the University along with a copy of the I-94 verifying non-expired dates that are not less than 6 months into the future from the date of the application. Applicants  who have been granted resident status in the United States must provide documentation with non-expired dates at the time of the application for admission to the university.

Frequently Requested Visa Information from the U.S. Consular Affairs web link:

Regarding Visa Denials: