Office of Admissions
International Student Services
CPT Curricular Practical Training
Curricular practical training (CPT) is available in limited circumstances at UHV. Currently the School of Arts and Sciences and School of Business Administration provide the only options of CPT employment for F1 students in the following programs:
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems - CPT Co-op
- Master of Science in Computer Information Systems - CPT Co-op
- Master of Business Administration - MBA Internship Course for Elective Credit
CPT requires enrollment in a course during the semester of employment. Students must register and pay for the class, and will receive a grade for the class from the assigned professor. The CPT process begins in the Academic School.
Please contact the Internship Director for your program of study:
School of Arts and Sciences - Dr Yun Wan, Internship Director, email@example.com
School of Business Administration - Dr Jeff Blodgett, UHV Associate Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org
- To be eligible for CPT, the F1 student must have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis at UHV for one full academic year before CPT begins. CPT is available only while the student is in valid F1 status, before completion of the program of study.
- Students may engage in CPT only for the specific employer, location, and period approved and recorded by the DSO in SEVIS.
- CPT may be granted by DSO in increments of no more than one year, or until expected date of employment completion, whichever is shorter. There is no cumulative maximum, except that it may only be approved before completion of the student's program of study.
- CPT may be approved for part-time (20 hours or less per week) or full-time (over 20 hours per week).
- CPT must be an integral part of an established curriculum, in the student's program of study.
- The student must have an offer of employment from an employer offering work that qualifies as curricular (related to the program of study).
- Use of full-time CPT for one year or more eliminates eligibility for Optional Practical Training. Use of part-time CPT does not affect eligibility for OPT.
- F1 students must receive written authorization from the DSO who will record the CPT in SEVIS and issue a new SEVIS I-20 with CPT employer information noted on page 3. Work may not begin until the DSO issues the I-20. USCIS approval is not required.
Dates & Events
First Steps to Starting Your Own Business - 9/4/2014
UHV / American Book Review Reading Series - 9/4/2014
Volunteering Open House - 9/4/2014
Blood Drive - 9/10/2014
De Leon Symposium - 9/13/2014
Saturday Book Break - 9/13/2014
IRS to present business tax updates at UHV meeting - 08/28/2014
UHS student regent spends day at UHV - 08/22/2014