Skip to Main Content
UHV Logo
University of Houston-Victoria

Employment Options for F1 Students

An F1 student is not permitted to work off-campus for a wage of salary or engage in business while in the United States unless permission granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  There are several categories of employment available to F1 students who are maintaining their status:

  • On-Campus Employment

  • Employment based on severe economic hardship, Special Student Relief for F1 students

  • Employment with an International Organization

  • Curricular Practical Training

  • Optional Practical Training

In order to maintain valid F1 status, a student must not work in the United States unless the employment is specifically authorized under the regulations.

Employment workshops are presented in the Fall and Spring terms for students to discuss their options with an international student coordinator.  Employment is a topic discussed in detail at the International Student Orientation Sessions each Fall and Spring term.

See information in the left column of this page under Employment Options for specific types of employment available to F1 students.