Office of the Vice President for
Administration and Finance
SECTION: GENERAL INDEX: A-15
SUBJECT: SMOKING POLICY
It is the policy of University of Houston-Victoria to provide smoke-free areas for students, faculty, staff and visitors to the maximum extent possible.
The University of Houston-Victoria has an interest in maintaining a healthy and safe environment for its students, faculty, staff and visitors while respecting individual choice. Consistent with this interest and with the City of Victoria Ordinance No. 2006-9 which prohibits smoking in all public buildings, the following policy has been established to restrict smoking in all areas except where designated, while accommodating smokers and nonsmokers.
Therefore, all University of Houston-Victoria buildings and transportation vehicles are designated as follows:
- Smoking is not permitted in any university building owned, leased, managed or controlled by the university
- Smoking is not permitted in any residence hall owned, leased, managed or controlled by the university
- Smoking is not permitted in state-owned vehicle or in vehicles leased or rented in the name of the university
- Smoking is prohibited at all times in shuttle buses, escort vans or in any type of campus utility vehicle
DESIGNATED SMOKING AREA LOCATIONS
- Smoking is permitted in outside areas only that are specifically designated and posted as smoking areas. The university's Safety Office, in cooperation with university management and guided by the City of Victoria ordinance, is responsible for designating and posting signs in smoking areas
- University Center – southwest corner of patio area
- University West – southwest area between building and sidewalk
- Jaguar Hall – east side courtyard and southwest corner of building
- Facilities Services – behind the building
- Totah Building – southwest corner of building
- Please visit the Campus Map to view designated smoking areas.
Additionally, it should be noted that littering with cigarette butts is prohibited. Cigarette butts are to be disposed of in the butlers located in the designated smoking areas.
The effectiveness of this policy relies in part on the cooperation and consideration between smokers and nonsmokers. Effective implementation of the smoking policy depends upon the courtesy, respect, and cooperation of all members of the university community. All members of the university community are responsible for observing the provisions of this policy on smoking.
Security Officers will assist with compliance of the smoking policy as necessary. Security Officers may issue a verbal notice to faculty, staff, students or visitors who fail to comply with policy regulations, including littering provisions. Repeated individual violations will be referred to the responsible campus authority for resolution and/or disciplinary action.
Complaints about smoking in nonsmoking areas should be directed to the on-duty Security Officer or the Safety Office. Questions or concerns regarding the implementation of this policy should be referred to the Safety Office.
Students, faculty, and staff at or visiting the University of Houston at Cinco Ranch and the University of Houston Sugar Land should comply with campus policy at those locations and with any local ordinance which prohibits smoking in all public buildings.
City of Victoria Ordinance No. 2006-9
Section No. 10-30
City of Sugar Land Ordinance No. 1639
Chapter 2, Article VIII, Smoking in Public Places
Signature obtained   September 2, 2011
Don Smith, Date
Origination: Campus Safety and Risk Office, Business Services Department
Next review date: November, 2013
Quickbooks Hallettsville - 3/12/2014
Baseball @ St. Edward's - 3/12/2014
Baseball vs. Fisher College - 3/14/2014
Softball @ Incarnate Word University - 3/15/2014
Baseball vs. Fisher College - 3/15/2014
Math & Computer Science Day - 3/18/2014
Exploring Franchise Ownership Kenedy - 3/18/2014
Senior math major fast-tracks degree plan - 03/06/2014