Manager of Disability Services and At-Risk Programs
Rm 133B, University West building
Head Injury/Traumatic Brain Injury
Head Injury or Traumatic Brain Injury is considered a medical or clinical diagnosis. Individuals qualified to render a diagnosis for these disorders are practitioners who have been trained in the assessment of Head Injury or Traumatic Brain Injury. Recommended practitioners may include: physicians; neurologists; licensed clinical, rehabilitation and school psychologists; neuropsychologists and psychiatrists.
The following guidelines are provided to assist the service provider in collaborating with each student to determine appropriate accommodations. Documentation serves as a foundation that legitimizes a student's request for appropriate accommodations.
Recommended documentation includes:
- A clear statement of the head injury or traumatic brain injury and the probable site of lesion (if appropriate);
- Documentation for eligibility should be current, preferably within the last three years; (the age of acceptable documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition);
- A summary of cognitive and achievement measures used and evaluation results including standardized scores or percentiles used to make the diagnosis;
- A summary of present residual symptoms, which meet the criteria for diagnosis;
- Medical information relating to student's needs to include the impact of medication on the student's ability to meet the demands of the postsecondary environment;
- Suggestions of reasonable accommodations, which might be appropriate at the postsecondary level, are encouraged. These recommendations should be supported by the diagnosis.
Dr. Christopher Kaio, Director of Disability Services for UH Downtown, has granted the UHV Disability Services Office permission to use these documentation guidelines for students on the UHV Disability Services Website.
Open House in Victoria - 5/23/2013
City Golf Championship Banquet - 5/25/2013
Degree Information Session - 5/29/2013
President's Regional Advisory Board - 6/4/2013
Vietnam War Conference - 6/13/2013
Vietnam War Conference - 6/14/2013
Freshman Advising and Preregistration Day - 6/15/2013
UHV alumna honored for work with ESL children - 05/23/2013