Skip to Main Content
UHV Logo
University of Houston - Victoria

Contact Us

Cheryl Worley
Manager of Disability Services and At-Risk Programs

132B University West
(361) 570-4287

Disability Services

Faculty's FAQ

In a private conversation, a student self identifies as having a disability, what should I do?

Instruct the student to contact the Office of Disability Services at 361-570-4287 or visit Cheryl Worley, Room 132B in the University West. Instructors may not provide academic adjustments to students without a signed form from Disability Services.

How do I know the student really does have a disability?

All students registered with Disability Services have a documented disability. Documentation must be submitted prior to the initial meeting. Services are not granted until documentation is received. If you have received a signed academic adjustment form from Disability Services requesting academic adjustments for the student, you can feel sure that the student really does have a disability.

Do I have a right to see the student’s disability documentation?

No. Documentation stating and describing a student's disability is confidential information. All documentation for students registered is kept within the Office of Disability Services.

What should I do about a student with a disability who is misbehaving, threatening, or rude?

Students with disabilities adhere to the same code of student conduct. If you suspect the behavior is associated with a possible disability, please call Disability Services.

Do I have the right to fail a student with a disability?

Yes. Provided the approved academic adjustments/auxiliary aids are implemented, students with disabilities can fail a class.

When should I expect a student to present the AA/AA form?

Students are encouraged to present academic adjustment request forms as soon as possible. However, student may present forms at any point during the semester.

What steps are taken by Office of Disability Services to ensure academic honesty while a student is testing?

Test proctors monitor the students in the testing environment.

Do I have to provide academic adjustments in an online class?

Yes. Academic adjustments are also provided in the online environment. Guidance on which adjustments are applicable in the online setting is provided by Disability Services.

Back to Top

Dr. Christopher Kaio, Director of Disability Services for UH Downtown, has granted the Disability Services Office permission to use the "Frequently Asked Questions" for faculty above on the UHV Disability Services Website.