Manager of Disability Services and At-Risk Programs
Ophthalmologists are the primary professionals involved in diagnosis and medical treatment of individuals who are blind or experience low vision. Optometrists provide information regarding the measurement of visual acuity as well as tracking and fusion difficulties.
The following guidelines are provided to assist the service provider in collaborating with each student to determine appropriate accommodations. Documentation serves as the foundation that legitimizes a student's request for appropriate accommodations.
Recommended documentation includes:
- A clear statement of vision related disability with supporting numerical description (the age of acceptable documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition);
- A summary of assessment procedures and evaluation instruments used to make the diagnosis and a summary of evaluation results including standardized scores;
- Present symptoms, which meet the criteria for diagnosis;
- Medical information relating to the student's needs and the status of the individual's vision (static or changing) and its impact on the demands of the academic program;
- Narrative or descriptive text providing both quantitative and qualitative information about the student's abilities which might be helpful in understanding the student's profile including the use of corrective lenses and ongoing visual therapy, if appropriate;
- Suggestions of reasonable accommodations, which might be appropriate at the postsecondary level, are encouraged. These recommendations should be supported by the diagnosis.
Dr. Christopher Kaio, Director of Disability Services for UH Downtown, has granted the UHV Disability Services Office permission to use these documentation guidelines for students on the UHV Disability Services Website.
Business Plans Victoria - 7/30/2014
First Steps to Starting Your Own Business - 8/7/2014
Veteran's Summit and Town Hall Meeting - 8/7/2014
Freshman Registration Day - 8/9/2014
Workplace Communications - 8/19/2014
Free SBDC workshop to cover basics of business law - 07/17/2014
UHV’s Ebner named conference SID of the Year - 07/17/2014