Office of Financial Aid

For Financial Aid questions, telephone Student Solutions:
(361) 573-0000 or toll-free (800) 687-3738
Fax: (361) 580-5555
Web:             Email:

Applying for Financial Aid

UH-Victoria administers a wide range of scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study employment for students who qualify. It is to the student's advantage to complete a 2008-2009 UHV Scholarship Application and a 2008-2009 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form as early as possible since limited funds require that priority be given to the earliest applicants. Students are required to reapply and submit new applications annually because regulations governing financial aid change each year. The forms are available in the UHV Office of Financial Aid, UH System at Sugar Land, UH System at Cinco Ranch, and on the UHV Financial Aid web page, and Additional forms and documents may be requested based on the information that is gathered from the financial aid applications and the Office of Admissions and Records.

Viewing Your Financial Aid Status

UHV student e-mail is the official mode of communication that is used to notify students of changes or updates to his/her UHV records. Students should check their UHV student e-mail account for emails periodically. Students can view his/her UHV records on-line in PeopleSoft at Students should review their financial aid data, accept, modify, or decline financial aid awards, and/or complete the tasks listed on the To Do List.

Awarding Process

Students must meet the following minimum requirements for a majority of the financial aid programs: be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident; be unconditionally admitted to UHV; be degree seeking; making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certification; not be defaulted on any educational loan or owe a refund on a federal or state grant; be registered with the Selective Service, if male; and not be convicted of possessing and/or selling illegal drugs. Transient and visiting students who are non-degree seeking at UHV are not eligible for financial aid.

The priority deadlines are as follows:

April 15 - Fall 2008
October 15 - Spring 2009
March 15 - Summer 2009

The most common type of financial aid is a "package" which is awarded in the following order: grants, scholarships, employment, and/or loans. Prior to awarding federal, state, and institutional financial aid, a student's eligibility is reviewed. Financial Aid awarded prior to the semester beginning will be based on the students anticipated enrollment and aid awarded after the semester begins will be based on the student's current enrollment status. Financial aid will not be awarded until all requested documents have been received and reviewed. Students who have incomplete files should be prepared to pay for their tuition, fees, books and supplies by the date posted on the bill.

An Award Notice email will be sent to the student's UHV e-mail address informing them that they need to review their financial aid offered on the PeopleSoft web link and then Accept, Modify or Decline the awards. Students who have not borrowed a loan while attending UHV will need to complete the Master Promissory Note on Loans By Web so the loan can be guaranteed. Once a Master Promissory Note is on file in Loans By Web, future loans accepted by students will be guaranteed. If a student wishes to change lenders, the Office of Financial Aid must be notified so a new Promissory Note will be submitted to Loans By Web for him or her to complete.

If students are planning to receive financial aid as co-enrolled students, they must complete Consortium Agreement forms each semester the student co-enrolls. UHV currently has consortium agreements with Austin Community College, Coastal Bend College, Houston Community College, The Victoria College and Wharton County Junior College. Federal regulations may not allow students to receive financial aid from two institutions simultaneously or for classes that will not transfer to the student's UHV degree plan.

Federal Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling is required for all first-time loan borrowers at UHV. Federal Grad PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling is required of first-time Grad PLUS borrowers. Federal Stafford Loan Exit Counseling and/or Grad PLUS Exit Counseling is required for all loan recipients each time they complete a degree, drop below half-time, or withdraw from the semester. The web site available for loan counseling is: If loan borrowers need to defer payments or request a forbearance on his or her Federal Stafford loan(s) while in repayment, forms are available at

Due to the wide range of financial aid available, the specific processes for applying, and the constant change in available funding, students are encouraged to contact UHV financial aid personnel early in the process and to keep the staff informed of any changes that may occur which would effect his/her ability to pay for educational expenses.

UH-Victoria Programs of Financial Assistance

  • *Academic Competitiveness Grant
  • Hinson-Hazlewood Loans
  • Federal College Work-Study Program
  • Federal Family Educational Loan Programs (Subsidized and Unsubsidized)
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loan Program
  • *Federal Pell Grant Program
  • *Federal Parent PLUS Loan Program
  • *Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
  • Leveraging Educational Assistance Program/SSIG
  • *National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent (SMART) Grant
  • Special Leveraging Educational Assistance Program Grant
  • State Scholarships (5th Year Accounting, License Plate, etc.)
  • Texas College Work-Study Program
  • *TEXAS Grant
  • Texas Public Education Grants (Resident or Nonresident)
  • Tuition Offset Grants
  • UHV Scholarships
  • *   For Undergraduate Students Only

For a brief description of the criteria of the programs listed above, contact the Office of Financial Aid or log on to .

Endowed scholarship funds are awarded on the basis of financial need and academic merit. To view the online listing of university scholarships, go to In addition, the community and civic organizations award several scholarships to UHV students. Some of the organizations require you to complete their applications. Information on new student scholarships may also be obtained by contacting Recruiters in the student's prospective Academic School (ex. Arts & Sciences, Nursing, etc.). At times, UHV offers special scholarship incentive programs. If a student is recommended for one of the scholarships, the student must complete the UHV Scholarship Application.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Higher Education Grant Program

The BIA Higher Education Grant provides supplemental financial aid to the eligible American Indian/Alaska Native student seeking a Bachelor's degree. Students must be a member of, or at least one-quarter degree Indian blood descendent of a member of an American Indian tribe which is eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States through the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Students must be accepted for admission to UHV and demonstrate financial need. The grant application is available with the education officer of the Tribe in which the student is affiliated or possesses membership. If the student's tribe is not administering the grant program, they can direct you to the nearest Bureau of Indian Affairs, Education Line Officer for the application. For more information, review the following website: Graduate students can contact the American Indian Graduate Center for an application at (505) 881-4584.

Tuition and Fee Exemptions

Exemptions and waivers are issued only for the period in which a student is currently enrolled; therefore, applications must be submitted no later than the official closing day of the semester or summer term being attended. Two examples are the Educational Aide Exemption and the Hazlewood Act Exemption. The UHV Bursar's Office processes tuition exemptions and waivers. For a listing of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board exemptions, log onto the College For Texans website,

University Of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901
(361) 570-4848, Toll Free in Texas (877) 970-4848

Questions / Comments To: