General Requirements for a Master's Degree

Planning the Graduate Program

In general the graduate student is expected to be enrolled each semester until completion of the degree program and award of the degree. The graduate student who is not enrolled should not expect the facilities of the university to be available. Such facilities include (but are not limited to) office and classroom space, laboratories, faculty resources and administration of oral or written examination. Exceptions to this requirement may be granted upon petition.

The graduate student should consult the program's graduate advisor before each registration. The student is required to fulfill the special requirements of that particular degree program in addition to the general requirements stipulated for graduate studies. Additional requirements are listed with the appropriate degree programs in this catalog.

Applicable Graduate Credit

Graduate credit is not granted for courses taken prior to a student's admission to any regionally accredited graduate school. The 'Time Limitation' section specifies additional restrictions.

Second Master's Degree

With the advisor's approval, a maximum of 50% of credit required for a master's degree earned at this institution may be applied to a second master's degree. Regulations concerning time limitations apply to transfer credit as well as to credit earned at UH-Victoria.

Course Numbering and Level of Credit

Credit for a 3000- or 4000-level course may be applied to a graduate degree upon approval by the school of the student's plan.

Any undergraduate courses counted toward a graduate degree must be taken when the student is a graduate student and must be part of the student's approved degree plan. Courses taken as an undergraduate for undergraduate credit cannot be used for graduate credit.

The graduate student who does not wish to earn graduate credit in a course must file a Course Credit Petition with the Office of Admissions and Records immediately after payment of tuition and fees. A UH-Victoria senior in good academic standing may take a limited number of courses for graduate credit if lacking no more than 12 semester hours for a degree. The student may receive permission to enroll for graduate credit through a Course Credit Petition, which must be filed with the Office of Admissions and Records. Graduate credits earned in this manner may not exceed 12 semester hours and may not be applied to the undergraduate degree. The Course Credit Petition may be obtained in the Office of Admissions and Records or may be printed from the Admissions website ( , under Forms.

Continuing Graduate Study Beyond the Master's Level

The student who completes a master's degree program at this institution will have the degree status changed to that of a non-degree seeking graduate student. If the student wishes to change plans and/or pursue another master's degree, a Course Credit Petition must be completed. This petition is available on the Admissions web page or in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Time Limitation

For graduate programs requiring 36 or fewer credit hours to fulfill the degree requirements, the student must complete the requirements within 5 years after formal admission to the program.

For graduate programs requiring more than 36 credit hours to fulfill the degree requirements, the student must complete the program within 7 years after formal admission.

Course credit, either transfer or from UHV, may not apply to any graduate degree if at graduation the course credit is more than 10 years old.

With the exception of programs for which another termination date has been specified, no degree shall be granted for a graduate program not completed within five years of its deletion from this catalog.

Termination of Enrollment

A satisfactory rate of progress toward the degree is required throughout the student's enrollment. The dean of the school may terminate a student's enrollment at any time if the rate of progress is not satisfactory. A student whose enrollment is terminated should be so notified with an explanation in writing by the dean of the student's plan. A copy of this notice and explanation will be made part of the student's permanent file.

Graduate Program Semester Hour Requirements

The semester hour requirements for graduate programs may vary; however, no program will have fewer than 36 semester hours. The student must complete 75% of these, or 27 at UHV unless transferring from a UH System institution. In the latter case, the student must complete 50% at UHV.

Application for Candidacy

Students should refer to respective schools for requirements and procedures for candidacy.

Students failing to fulfill school requirements by the appropriate deadline will have their application for graduation disapproved.

Candidacy applications for graduate students are available in the school offices.

University Of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901
(361) 570-4848, Toll Free in Texas (877) 970-4848

Questions / Comments To: