Graduation Under a Particular Catalog

A student normally is entitled to graduate under the degree provisions of the catalog in effect at the time of the student's first completed semester of enrollment. These exceptions apply:

  1. A catalog more than 10 years old shall not be used.
  2. The program of the student who interrupts enrollment (for reasons other than involuntary military service) for more than one calendar year shall be governed by the catalog in effect at the time of the student's reentrance to the university. The student who interrupts enrollment for involuntary military service must reenroll within one year from the date of separation from service and no more than five years from the beginning of military service in order for this provision to apply. For these purposes, enrollment shall be defined as registration for and successful completion of at least one course during an academic term. A student forced to withdraw for adequate cause before completion of a course may petition for a waiver of this provision at the time of withdrawal.
  3. The program of the student who changes a plan from one school to another within the university shall be governed by the degree requirements in effect at the time the change of plan becomes effective.
  4. At the discretion of the dean, with the advice and consent of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the student will be required to comply with all changes in the curriculum made subsequent to the year in which the student is enrolled. Deletions and additions of courses will be of approximately equal credit so that no student will have an overall appreciable increase of total credits required for graduation.
  5. Any student transferring directly to UH-Victoria from a junior college can qualify to graduate under the UH-Victoria catalog in effect when the student entered the junior college if the core curriculum provisions of the Coordinating Board are followed, subject to the following limitation: if the student interrupts studies for more than two consecutive semesters (not including summer sessions) at the junior college or before transfer to UH-Victoria, the student must qualify for graduation under the catalog in effect upon returning to the junior college or upon matriculating at UH-Victoria.
  6. The program of a student who completes upper level requirements for graduation under a particular catalog will continue to be governed by that same catalog for one year only, even if the student completes lower level requirements more than one year after completing upper level requirements.

Degree Plan

You are responsible for all requirements of the catalog under which you will be graduated During your first semester of attendance at the university, the School of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business Administration, School of Education and Human Development, and School of Nursing staff advisor will initiate your degree plan. The staff advisor will work with you and your faculty advisor to complete a plan for approval. You will sign the plan. The advisor and appropriate school dean also sign when approving it, and the Office of Admissions and Records validates the degree plan before it becomes an official document. You will receive a copy when the process is complete, ordinarily during the same semester in which the process began.

The original degree plan is kept on file in the Office of Admissions and Records and you and the school of your plan will each receive a copy. Since the degree plan represents your commitment to complete the requirements and the university's commitment to hold you accountable for meeting those requirements, it is a very important document. In order to change it in any way, secure a substitution form from the Office of Admissions and Records or the school office of your plan. The academic advisor and school dean must approve the change and the Office of Admissions and Records validate it before it becomes official.

Please note that if you interrupt enrollment for more than one calendar year, you will need a new degree plan upon your return to UHV.

Application For Graduation

UHV does not automatically award a degree when you complete your scholastic requirements. To be considered as a candidate for a degree, you must submit an application for graduation to the Office of Admissions and Records. You can file an application either during the semester prior to, or during the semester in which you plan to graduate. If you applied for graduation in any past semester but were disapproved, you must re-file an application for graduation.

The deadlines to apply for graduation during the 2007-2008 academic year are as follows:

Fall 2008 graduates: Friday, September 19, 2008
Spring 2009 graduates: Friday, February 20, 2008
Summer 2009 graduates: Friday, June 12, 2008

There are typically two commencement ceremonies per year, one for Spring and one for Fall. At the present time, Summer semester graduates participate during the Fall ceremony. You should contact The Victoria College Bookstore to obtain information on caps, gowns, rings, and invitations.

You must be on track to complete all requirements toward your degree in the semester for which you plan to participate in commencement. If all requirements for graduation cannot be met during the current semester, you may be denied participation in the commencement ceremony. For information concerning eligibility to participate in one of the ceremonies, please contact the Office of Admissions and Records, 361-570-4110 or 1-877-970-4848, ext. 110.

Posthumous Degrees

In accordance with established procedures, which are available from the Registrar, the University of Houston-Victoria may award posthumous degrees on request.

Academic Advising

Faculty advisors assist with developing the degree plan and are available to assist with selecting courses each term but are not responsible for checking to see that students have met the requirements. Students are responsible for meeting the degree requirements specified in their catalog and degree plan. Students should apply for graduation one semester prior to their intended graduation date. The application will trigger a detailed review, revealing any requirements left to complete.

Graduate Assistants

Statute: Section 54.063 A teaching assistant or research assistant of any institution of higher education and the spouse and children of such a teaching assistant or research assistant are entitled to register in a state institution of higher education by paying the tuition fees and other fees or charges required for Texas residents under Section 54.051 of this code, without regard to the length of time the assistant has resided in Texas, if the assistant is employed at least one-half time in a teaching or research assistant position which relates to the assistant's degree program under rules and regulations established by the employer institution.

Graduate assistants employed at least half time by any public institution of higher education in a degree program-related position, with an effective date of employment on or before the official census date, of the relevant term(s), may pay the same tuition while attending the employing institution as a resident of Texas for themselves, their spouses, and their dependent children, regardless of the length of residence in the state. The institution which employs the students shall determine whether or not the students' jobs relate to their degree programs. This provision applies to eligible graduate assistants and their dependents no matter which Texas public institution of higher education they may attend. It is the intent of this rule that employment be for the duration of the period of enrollment for which a waiver is awarded.

Graduate assistantships are awarded only to graduate students and must be approved by the appropriate academic school. The work involved must be relevant to the recipient's degree program and of value to the university. Assistantships are ordinarily provided by the academic schools but may also be provided by other administrative units, so long as the assistantship meets the above criteria and is approved in writing by the dean of the appropriate school.

University Of Houston-Victoria
3007 N. Ben Wilson, Victoria, TX 77901
(361) 570-4848, Toll Free in Texas (877) 970-4848

Questions / Comments To: