UHV Catalog 2007-2008

Office of Student Services


Department of Student and Academic Services

University West, Suite 133
3007 N Ben Wilson, Victoria, Texas 77901
361.570.4137 Fax: 361.570.4106
Toll free: 877-970-4848 ext. 137
Email: sls@uhv.edu

The Office of Student Services (OSS) helps students achieve their academic goals and enhance their intellectual and social development through a variety of programs and services. We promote student leadership, collegiality, and good citizenship. The Office supports the academic mission of UHV, assures the rights of students, and ensures students get the support necessary to be successful at UHV and in their communities.

We contribute to a healthy, safe, and productive academic environment and are responsive to the needs of our diverse student body. Students are encouraged to contact us with any questions or needs they may have.

General Services
First-aid kit and academic calendars may be obtained from OSS. Students can purchase transparencies, laminations, scantrons and blue books for a nominal fee.

The University hosts two commencement ceremonies, one following the spring term and one following the fall term. An application for graduation is to be filed in the Office of Admissions and Records by the published deadlines. Students applying for graduation will be asked to indicate whether or not they will participate in the commencement ceremony. Students who indicate that they will participate at commencement will receive information from the OSS concerning caps and gowns, announcements, etc.

UH-Victoria has no on-campus student housing. However, OSS posts current information about available rooms in the area and apartments. An apartment guide is available to students looking for housing in Victoria.

Identification Cards
Student identification (ID) cards are issued at the beginning of each semester. The ID cards are available at the VC/UHV Library circulation desk in Victoria. Students at UH System at Cinco Ranch and UH System at Sugar Land may obtain ID cars at the Academic Support Offices. The student ID card is used as a means of identification on and off campus. Anyone losing or finding an ID card should go to the lost and found in the OSS on the Victoria campus, or the Academic Support Offices at the UHSCR. Students at the UHSSL should go to the Campus Security Office.

Lost and Found
The OSS acts as the agent for lost and found articles. Students are asked to contact this office immediately upon finding or losing items on the campus or in buildings used by UH-Victoria. Students at the UHSSL should contact the Campus Security Office and students at the UHSCR should contact the Academic Support Offices.

Night Clerk
A night clerk is available during evening hours. The night clerk is located in Suite 133 of University West, Victoria Campus, and at the Academic Support Offices at UHSSL and UHSCR.

Personal Counseling
UH-Victoria has a preferred provider counseling agreement with Uri Gonik, Ph.D. & Associates. You may contact his office at 361-575-5021 for any counseling services needed. We have a counseling referral list for students attending classes at the UHSSL and the UHSCR. For a copy of the list please go to http://www.uhv.edu/sas/

Student Center
Located in The Victoria College Student Center are the bookstore, dining, TV rooms, reading room, meeting rooms and a game area. A convenience store offers a variety of food and beverage items to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff, and visitors. A seasonal bookstore is located at the UHSSL. There are vending machines at UHSSL and UHSCR for student use.

Student Conduct
UH-Victoria students must conform to the university’s policies and procedures. Copies of the Student Conduct Code and the Academic Sanctions and Appeals Process are available in the Student Handbook.

Student Discount Program
Students are eligible for discounts at local businesses. A discount program brochure is available in the OSS.

Student Handbook
The Student Handbook is intended to convey official university policy and procedures to students at the University of Houston-Victoria. Students should also refer to the UHV catalog, class schedules, or university officials for additional information. The Student Handbook may be accessed online at http://www.uhv.edu/handbook/default.asp.

Student Health Insurance
All university students who are not U.S. citizens must have hospitalization, medical and surgical insurance which includes a repatriation benefit. Some policies offer to pay airfare and lodging expenses for a family member or designated person to help oversee the student’s evacuation to their home country in the event of extreme illness. International students are responsible for obtaining their personal insurance coverage and are notified of this responsibility in the Statement of Understanding that is required before being admitted to UHV. Information on International Health Insurance plans is available in the Office of Student Services.

A hospital, medical and surgical insurance plan is available to all university students at a nominal cost. Information on available insurance plans for domestic and international students can be obtained upon request from the OSS or by visiting our website at http://www.uhv.edu/sas/pdf/StudentInsurance2006.pdf. Brochures are also available in the Academic Support Offices at the UHSSL and the UHSCR for students attending those campuses.

Student Health Services
An online HealthyLife Students’ Self-Care Guide is available at http://www.uhv.edu/health/index.htm. Students can access information about common health problems.

Student Lounges
Student lounges are maintained for students on the first floors of the UH-Victoria buildings. Coffee (for a nominal fee), a microwave oven, a refrigerator, a television, office supplies, magazines, and newspapers are available for use. Student Lounges are also available at the UHSSL and UHSCR campuses.

Student Organizations
Opportunities for the development of leadership skills and for civic engagement are offered to students through participation in recognized university organizations. Students are encouraged to participate in service, honor, or professional organizations. Students with high scholastic standing are eligible for invitation into the UH-Victoria chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, a national honor society, which recognizes academic excellence. There are special interest groups such as the Campus Ministry (Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist), G-Force, Gamma Beta Phi Honor Society, Mexican American Student Organization (MASO), and Psi Chi (Psychology). Policies for the recognition and operation of student organizations can be obtained upon request from OSS or accessed online at http://www.uhv.edu/HandBook/campus_activities.asp.

Student Senate
Student government at UH-Victoria exists in the form of the Student Senate. This governing body’s purpose is to promote communications among constituents of UHV, enhance the unique educational environment of UHV, and address specific needs of students in order to provide a voice to and for the student body with respect to academic and cultural matters. The membership is composed of President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, undergraduate and graduate Senators representing each of the three (3) academic schools and three (3) Senators-at-Large, as well as a representative from UHSSL and UHSCR. All members are elected each Spring by the student body. Additional information can be accessed from the student handbook at http://www.uhv.edu/HandBook/ss_bylaws.asp.

Student Travel
Texas Education Code, Section 51.949, as enacted by the 77th Legislature requires the regulation of certain types of student travel sponsored, supported or sanctioned by the university. UHS System Administrative Policy 03.E.08 establishes the system-wide policy for this type of travel. UHV policy on the applicable student travel can be found at http://www.uhv.edu/fin/policy/f/f-3.htm.

Students With Disabilities
Students with disabilities are encouraged to contact the OSS about any specific needs they have for note takers or equipment services. A Voyager CCD closed-circuit television, which magnifies images for the visually-impaired student, is available in the VC/UH-Victoria Library. The university attempts to create an accessible environment for all its students in Victoria and in the Houston area. Students who require special services because of a disability should contact the Coordinator of Student Services at the UHV campus.

Special parking permits should be requested Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. from the switchboard operator at the kiosk area in UHV University Center. During evenings, permits can be obtained at the OSS Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. until 10 p.m. Parking permits are not required at UHSSL or at UHSCR.

Study Areas
Several study areas are available on the UHV/VC campus. In University Center, group study rooms are available in Rooms 301 B, C, and D. Students are welcome to study in classrooms when not in use. There are also many study areas in the UHV-VC Library. A study area for the UHSSL is located in the library on the 2nd floor. Study areas at UHSCR are located in the library and at the student lounge.